Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Historical Prices Adjusted for Spin-Off, before Spin-Off

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby eliyarborough » Thu May 21, 2020 4:26 pm

Hi guys,

I'm having an issue recording a transaction involving Naspers (NSPNY) and Prosus (PROSY). NSPNY spun off PROSY in September of last year. Thus, the price of NSPNY dropped accordingly, to account for the value given up in the PROSY spin.

However, the historical pricing from Yahoo / WSJ / etc pulls in NSPNY historical data before the spin that has been retroactively adjusted to account for the spin.

To illustrate my point:
- I purchased NSPNY at the beginning of 2019 at a price of ~45
- The price was ~45 at the end of March (in real life)
- PROSY shares were spun to me in September, and NSPNY dropped to ~35 a share
- However, when pulling in historical prices for NSPNY, the March price is ~35 a share
- Thus, when trying to look at portfolio reports from March, my portfolio value is understated and it looks like a poor investment (45 to 35 in a couple of months), when actually it was flat

Any idea how to best adjust for this?

Best,
Eli Yarborough
eliyarborough

Postby Mark » Thu May 21, 2020 5:52 pm

Hello Eli,

I think you mean NPSNY? There is no NSPNY on Yahoo. I looked, and their historical data shows a split on Sep 17, 2019 for a ratio of 14624:10000. Historical data on Yahoo is split adjusted, so to get the actual correct prices you need to have the same split transactions recorded. In this case it really wan't a split, but that is how they've recorded it, so to get the correct prices, you can record this split, retrieve historical prices, and then delete the split, and record your spin-off how it actually happened.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions