Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Cash account problem

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby FolkeLJ » Sun May 10, 2020 7:42 am

There seems to be a problem with the default cash account where it enters completely wrong numbers (seemingly random) for each transaction.

For example, i bought 1000 shares of AerCap for $51 a share, amounting to $51,000 - or 550,000NOK (my default currency). I would expect the same amount to be subtracted from my cash account. Instead, the cash account says i bought 4,394,372.38 shares for 1NOK each for a total of 4,394,372.38NOK.

This is true of every purchase - the price is changed to 1 NOK and a seemingly arbitrary number of shares are substituted.

Have I done something wrong? Is this a glitch?

Thanks, Mark.
FolkeLJ

Postby Mark » Sun May 10, 2020 3:45 pm

Hi FolkeLJ,

When you have a transaction in an investment of a different currency than your default cash, the amount is converted to the currency of your default cash account before recording the transaction. It sounds like you may not have the exchange rate set up as desired between $ and NOK. Look under "Options / Currency Settings..." to see how you're exchanging. If you're using an exchange rate investment, go look at the "price" in that exchange rate for the date of the transaction.

When you record a transaction like this, you can optionally choose to use a specified exchange rate. If you don't enter an exchange rate, the global exchange rate will be used, based on the settings I described above.

For more on tracking multiple currencies, see our multi-currency tutorial.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby olbap » Tue May 19, 2020 12:06 am

I recently had the same problem in early April of this year.
Had about 58K in default ash account. Made a purchase of 8075 after which cash account showed about17200. Have never had a problem before.
olbap

Postby Mark » Tue May 19, 2020 8:43 am

Hi olbap,

Cash is like any other investment, where the market value is equal to the number of shares owned times the market price. So, first, make sure the market price is 1, since this is cash. Use the Data Register, and look under the data type of "Prices". Once you confirm the price is 1, make sure all your transactions are recorded at a price of 1, with the shares equal to the value of the transaction. Your share balance should equal the market value. For more tips on tracking cash, see our cash tracking tutorial.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby olbap » Wed May 20, 2020 11:33 pm

Thank Mark,

All of my cash accounts have a market price of 1.

I will go through and cross check the transactions in this account that created this error.
olbap

Return to Prices and Transactions