Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

FM cah exits registration

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby Arrow » Mon May 04, 2020 10:15 am

Hello Mark,
thanks for your kind and timely answers.

1. I’ve tried this method to keep track manually of only the most important moves of my bank account in FM and I would like to ask you if it is correct and if there is a shorter way to reach the same goal.
From the Master account I created two subfolders 1. Investments 2. Bank-movements, so that investments can be analysed on their own.
Afterwards in the Bank-movements folder I created 3 investments a. Bank-Cash-account b. Main-Exits c. Main-Entries.
I started the Bank-Cash-account with an initial deposit of ZZZshares with a price of 1. Then if I need to register an exit I do a transfer out of N shares at a price of 1 and I then register a transfer-in in Main-Exit of N shares at a price of 1 and then sell those shares at a price of 0.
The Main-Exit investment will have at the end a balance of 0 but I can find how much has gone out with OOp Historical gain.
2. Is it possible to import prices in the generic format of more than one symbol in the same file?
3. "SYMB",NAV,"MM/DD/YY"XX (nothing) "IBM",75.125,"06/28/04"," "
How is it defined this kind of text format?
Could you please give me a link on the web where I can better understand in a simple way the different kind of text formats in order to better prepare the command line
Thanks in advance for your answers
Arrow
Arrow

Postby Mark » Mon May 04, 2020 10:57 am

Hi Arrow,

1) This seems overly complicated. Why not just use a single cash investment? You can calculate the amount withdrawn or contributed from/to this one cash investment.

2) Yes, definitely.

3) If you have a text file formatted like this:

IBM,75.125,06/28/04
INTC,42.000,06/28/04

You could import this with "File / Import / Prices / Generic..." with these settings:

Specify Symbol: OFF
Specify Date: OFF
Format String: SYMB,NAV,MM/DD/YY

Press "Help..." from within that dialog for more instructions.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions