Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Problems using generic import / export

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby Exspextations » Sat May 02, 2020 7:50 am

There are few things I find to quibble about with Fund Manger, but the import / export from / to CVS and TXT files drives me nuts. I follow the examples in the help and sometimes it works and other times I get an error message 'The specified export format is illegal'

I am currently trying to import a lot of interest distributions to the cash file associated with a portfolio. I have exported without a problem to check the format using UD,SYMB,TRANS,ANUM,BNUM,CNUM, which produces a file with the line items for interest payments: DDMMYY when I try to use import from a TXT file with the format: UD,REINV_I,ANUM,BNUM,CNUM, I get the error message: 'Could not find all the specified fields in the importing file'.

Examples of the export file and import file are attached - I have also tried importing without SYMB in the import template, but this gives the same error.

I would also like to export and import data using the DD/MM/YYYY format, but the moment I do this I get the error messages again - the help file suggests that I should be able to use this format - so what am I doing wrong.

Appreciate some guidance.

Exspextations
Attachments
Example of export from cash file and file format of transactions to be imported.txt
(378 Bytes) Downloaded 197 times
Exspextations

Postby Mark » Sat May 02, 2020 8:20 am

Hi Exspextations,

This is a difficult command to use. Let's look at one line from your file you want to import:

So, you don't have a symbol or a transaction type specified. Your symbol is empty. If you want to import, either assign a symbol to your cash investment, and use the SYMB key in your import, or you can choose the import option "Import all transactions into Specified Investment". I prefer to use the symbol in the investment generally. Next, you need a transaction key to inform FM these are reinvested distributions of type interest income. So, if you want to do this, change your importing data to look like:

200331,MYCASH,REINV_I,1,1.01,0

and use the format string of (you type this into the import dialog):

UD,SYMB,TRAN,ANUM,BNUM,CNUM

and assign MYCASH to be the symbol of the cash investment where you want to import these transactions.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Exspextations » Thu May 14, 2020 2:49 am

Dear Mark,

Thanks for the explanation. Works a treat now I understand what I was doing wrong.

Martin
Exspextations

Return to Prices and Transactions