Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

transferring stock to a different account

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby Mary Kennedy » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:09 pm

OK, here is my weird question for the day. Last week I transferred several investments from a traditional IRA to a Roth IRA. My goal is to move these into the Roth account while stock prices are low and taxes are low.

Now I want FM to import these events. For each stock, I want FM to recognize that (a) I bought 100 shares of XYZ 2 years ago @$10 each, and (b) I imported those same 100 shares into my Roth account last week at $5 each. FM picked up only the second transaction but not the first, so I have no cost basis anymore, just a transfer in at the current price.

Next I tried to manually enter the earlier purchases. However when I did that, FM ADDed those purchased shares to the shares that were transferred in, thus doubling my total number of shares. Now I have 200 shares, 100 of which were bought 2 yrs ago, 100 of which were transferred in last week.

Suggestions?
Mary Kennedy

Postby Mark » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:00 pm

Hi Mary Kennedy,

You can edit the transfer in transactions. Transfer In transactions allow you to record a "Market Value" on the date of transfer, and also record the original cost basis, which can have a separate date/value.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mary Kennedy » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:33 am

Oh good, thanks for that. I think I may still be doing something wrong though, bcs some of the transfers aren't calculating price changes and others are. I am attaching a report so you can see what I mean, and I am attaching a sample of the transfer form so you can see if I am filling it out correctly
Attachments
MarysTransferForm.pdf
(10.06 KiB) Downloaded 189 times
MarysTransfersIn.pdf
(11.55 KiB) Downloaded 176 times
Mary Kennedy

Postby Mark » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:03 am

Hi Mary,

What field(s) in the report are you asking about?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mary Kennedy » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:25 am

Sorry. Background: I have a lot of new holdings that were all transferred into this account last week. This report is a summary of these new holdings, showing their gains over 3 months, 1 month, etc. The problem is, gains or losses show for SOME of the new holdings, but for others there are zeros in every column. This makes me think I have filled out the transfer form incorrectly, and that is why I attached a picture of one of the transfer forms. I a wondering if I filled the transfer form out wrong and that is why the table doesn't show any gains or losses
Mary Kennedy

Postby Mark » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:37 am

Hi Mary,

The "OOP Cost Value" in the Transfer In dialog is the total cost, not the per-share cost.

If the Gain numbers are showing 0, check that your prices are being updated in these investments. Look in the Data Register under the "Prices" data type. Do you have recent closing prices?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions