Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

"transfer in" versus "purchase"

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby docmark » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:39 pm

Mark, Having some issues getting QIF transactions from Quicken 09 to FM (using v9.4 with Vista SP1) effectively. Oddly enough, I was having similar problems last year at this time since I found a post to the forum in 1/08 when I was still running Win XP that I actually forgot about as I don't need to post often. For the most part, my Quicken mutual fund purchases can be seen in the QIF file when opened with Notebook, but one or two of them won't transfer unless I choose "create new investment". Also, the 2008 QIF transfers that do go in without a problem show up under Investments(all) as a "transfer in" rather than a "purchase". Is this a new feature of v9.0 and/or Qucken 09? Will this affect my cost basis calculations in the future? Would it be easier to just "create new investment" with all existing data from the last 10 years rather than trying to force the 2008 data into the existing investment? As always, still find FM a great tool to stay organized. Mark
docmark

Postby Mark » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:05 pm

Hi Mark,

If when you import the transactions seem to want to go in a new investment, but you expect them to go in an existing investment, then the names are not matching. With the QIF format, the "investment name" property is used to match incoming transactions with existing investments. This is not the best field to use, but that is how the QIF format works. You can open up your QIF file in Notepad and see what is recorded for the name on the transactions in question, and then edit your Fund Manager investment's property to be the same. This should allow those transactions to go into your existing investment.

A transfer in just allows you to specify a different date/value for the cost basis than when you acquired the shares. If your transfer in transaction has the right cost basis, then it is fine. You can edit the transaction, and see how it is recorded. Yes, transfer in/out are new to 9.x.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions