Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Invalid Prices for Weekend Days?

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby Stefan » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:03 pm

Hello,
I keep getting prices for the week end days, when there is no market. I get these prices for all my ETFs. I noticed this hapens after I retrieve transaction on a Monday. Then I get some bogus values of prices for Saturday and Sunday.
How can I set the system to not give me prices frr Sat/Sun?
Stefan

Postby Mark » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:49 pm

Hi Stefan,

There is no setting in Fund Manager to prevent a data source from updating prices on the weekends. Typically these data sources will not quote a price for a weekend. It sounds like your broker may be reporting a price for a weekend since you're noticing it after retrieving transactions. Retrieving transactions also updates prices, as provided by the broker. You can look in the transaction retrieve log at "Help / Logs / Transaction Retrieve (Parsed)...", and below the INVPOSLIST section you will see positions/prices, like:

- UNITPRICE (51.33)
- DTPRICEASOF (20200121120000)

meaning a price of 51.33 on Jan 21, 2020 in this example. Does your broker report a price for a date that is a weekend?
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Stefan » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:16 pm

You are right. I checked that and it seems it reports prices on the weekend. I see:
<DTPRICEASOF>20200202210000. Which is Sunday 02/02/2020.
This is Schwab. Is there anything to be done here? Can I set the program to ignore teh broker reported price - which is wrong anyway?
Stefan

Postby Mark » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:54 am

Hi Stefan,

Interesting, does this happen for all investments in your Schwab account, or only certain ones?

You can turn off "Investment Properties... / Internet Retrieve / Update price when retrieving transactions", but this needs to be done on a per-investment basis.

You could also retrieve transactions on a Tuesday, instead of Monday.

To delete all prices for a certain date, you can use "Edit / Investment Data / Delete Price / One Date - All Investments".
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Stefan » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:55 am

This happens for all my Schwab investments: ETFs and mutual funds.
I will try turning off the investment properties price update with teh transaction retrieve. I didn't know about it. I think that will work for me. I wish though it were a global flag :-( per portfolio. Thank you so much!
Stefan

Postby OttoFM » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:34 am

I have the same situation with Schwab equity prices. Monday's price update (PRC) adds a Sunday price. Interesting, the Sunday Close price doesn't match Friday's or Monday's. Apple Example: Friday, 6/26 close = $353.63; no entry for Saturday, 6/27; Sunday, 6/28 close = $355.77; Monday morning = $356.04. Sunday's Share count is correct, Value is accurate using Sunday's "Close" price; Open, High and Low all show 0.0000.

Seems like the suggested extra step of deleting all prices for a certain date (Sunday) is the work around.

Still lots to learn.
OttoFM

Postby Mark » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:42 am

Hi OttoFM,

In Stefan's post above he was getting prices from Schwab for a Sunday when retrieving transactions. When you retrieve transactions, FM can also update prices as reported by the broker. This is how Stefan was getting Sunday prices. Maybe this is the same for you?

The PRC button is different. That is retrieving prices from whatever quote server you've selected. Are you getting a Sunday price from retrieving from the broker, or when you retrieve prices from the internet? The toolbar button for retrieving transactions is TRN.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby OttoFM » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:37 am

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the quick reply, very impressive.

The price updates I'm referring to are price updates via the PRC button. I usually have the "Master Portfolio" selected to get them all. Most of my stocks, including the one in my example above, are set to use the "Default Server" for both the Quote and Historical servers. My default servers are: Yahoo and Wall Street Journal (Historical).

I haven't checked to see if Sunday prices show up during a transaction download (TRN). The box to "Update Price when Retrieving Transactions" is checked. But I don't do TRN updates that often.

I wondered if fund prices also list Sunday prices. Haven't checked them all, but I did see one fund with Sunday prices for 4/26 and 5/3. In both cases the Sunday prices were Friday's close, with 0.0000 in the Open, High and Low columns. This funds uses the "Default Servers" listed above. Funds in another account get prices from the "Morningstar - Funds" server, didn't see any Sunday prices there.

Might be a server issue. Maybe I'll play with changing servers and see if I get rid of Sunday prices.

Thanks,
Bob
OttoFM

Postby Mark » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:14 pm

Hi Bob,

If you're retrieving prices with the Yahoo server you normally shouldn't see any prices for weekends. Prices are updated for the date specified by Yahoo when you retrieve. You might want to look at your pricing date before/after to verify. To do this use the Data Register, and look under the Data Type of "Prices". With this, hopefully you can track down how the prices are getting updated on Sundays. You can also check before/after retrieving transactions.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby OttoFM » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:36 pm

Thanks Mark,

Next Monday, I'll do some before and after screen captures of "Data Register - Prices" for a few stocks.

Take care,
Bob
OttoFM

Return to Prices and Transactions