Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Oakmark transaction download error

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby jccccj33 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:24 pm

I’m hoping someone here can help me. Apologies for the length, but I've done some research on the problem and looked at possible causes.

I’m having trouble downloading transactions for Oakmark Fund and Oakmark International Fund. I can download transactions for all other investments without a problem.

When I tried to download Oakmark Fund transactions I got “Signon invalid [15500]” and then “Failed to retrieve portfolio, etc.”. When I tried to download Oakmark International I didn’t get the “Signon invalid...” only the “Failed...” message.

- I have each account, alone in its own portfolio.
- The user id and password for Oakmark are correct. I removed all symbols from the password. The password is 25 characters long.
- In the fund investment properties I have the correct symbol and CUSIP.
- I’ve tried using the account number alone (without the fund number) as well as two formats including the fund number: fff,aaaaaaa and fffaaaaaaa [f=fund number, a=account number]. I’ve double checked the account and fund numbers.
- Oakmark has not been helpful, they don’t know Fund Manager, use Quicken (reference to an Intuit address that not surprisingly was not valid).

Any and all help greatly appreciated.
jccccj33

Postby Mark » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:14 am

Hi jccccj33,

Do you have 2 different sub-portfolios, one for each fund?

In the case where you get a signon invalid, then either the username or password are not being accepted by Oakmark's OFX server. Nothing else matters until after you get signed on.

In the case where you only get a "Failed" message, take a look in the log file at "Help / Logs / Transaction Retrieve (Raw)..." for some insight.

Once you get signed in okay, then the account number matters. If you don't have it formatted quite right, it might not be found. What you can do is try retrieving with the account number blank, and FM will attempt to get a listing of account numbers from your broker, and then you can choose from a list.

Both Fund Manager and Quicken use the exact same OFX interface, so whatever tips Oakmark provides in terms of using Quicken you can use with Fund Manager as well.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby jccccj33 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:20 am

Hello Mark,

Thanks for your reply/help. Each fund is in its own subportfolio. Cut and pasted the investment userid and password into both from my password manager, same info works to log into Oakmark website. Will look at logfile. Thanks for the info as to Quicken. I asked Oakmark about formatting before posting here but maybe if I write it slowly and ask them what would it look like for Quicken they can answer.

I'm going to try backing up FM files, deleting Oakmark subportfolios and starting from scratch in case I put something in that is gumming up the works.

Thanks again.

Jose
jccccj33

Postby jccccj33 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:38 pm

No joy. I am not optimistic but I will document what I've done for posterity.

As far as I can tell it is as Mark said an authentication problem. It is not unique to FM. I have a copy of Moneydance and I got the same error when I tried to download Oakmark transactions into it. Why I get a clearly sign on error for the Oakmark
Fund but not for Oakmark International on FM is a mystery (I only tried Oakmark on Moneydance).

The raw log after trying to download Oakmark International is below. It didn't help me

<html><head><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;charset=UTF-8"></meta><title>Online Transaction Error
</title></head>
<body><center><h1>Online Transaction Error</h1><hr><h3>
<p><p>A fatal error has occurred. Check nohup for error details.
<p><hr><center></body></html>

I searched for nohup found out that it is linux/unix related. Not my end. FM? OFX server?

I've never been able to find any information on Oakmark's site regarding transaction downloads (Help section, site search). The only way to download transactions that I know of is as .csv of transaction history. I'd like to avoid going the import .csv route.

I contacted Oakmark again asking for help. My question: why does the same authentication that fails with FM and Moneydance work in accessing the Oakmark website. I'm waiting for an answer.

I forgot to mention that I've been running FM on a Mac using Parallels (1 version behind latest for both) but this does not appear to be responsible for the problem. I get the same errors running FM on my Windows 10 Pro (latest) laptop.

I tried deleting and re-creating the subportfolios but the problems persisted.

Life is too short and I'm not going to be messing with this for much longer (I posted here after spending a lot of time trying to get things to work on my own). I will post one more time on this topic hopefully with news that Oakmark has cracked the case but I'm not counting on it. My apologies if "verbose" was turned on in my head. It is the default setting.

Thanks, Mark, all.

Jose
jccccj33

Postby Mark » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:56 am

Hi Jose,

That log file indicates that there is likely a problem on Oakmark's OFX server with your specific account somehow. That is not what you would get if you just had invalid login details. You could create a fake 3rd sub-portfolio with invalid login details just for a test to see, but it should return valid OFX syntax with an error about signing on. Instead you're getting HTML with an internal server type error message. This is something only Oakmark would be able to fix.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby jccccj33 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:45 pm

Hello Mark,
I will do as you suggest. Thanks again for your help. If I get anything useful from Oakmark, I will post it.
Jose
jccccj33

Postby jccccj33 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:35 pm

Hello all (especially Mark)

This is just to close this thread (as least as far as I'm concerned)

Oakmark was useless. Reply given: instructions for re-setting password. I asked them to direct me to some form of intelligent life within the support staff but apparently there is none.

My thanks again to Mark. The flaw is not in FM or in the help provided on this board.

Jose
jccccj33

Postby Mark » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:58 pm

Hi Jose,

Sorry to hear you weren't able to get better support on this issue.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions