Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Bonds and Reconciling - Position File v. Transaction File

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby fiscalis » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:47 pm

HI Mark,

I'm having trouble getting FM to reconcile the data from TD Ameritrade Inst on the zero coupon bonds held in a client account.

The transactions came down as owning 200 units at $XX.XX per unit. The math worked out to the correct total cost so I figured OK. When I go to use the reconcile feature against the position file, it shows I'm 19,800 units short because FM is reading the data provided differently between the two types of data download (transactions v. positions). As a result, FM is expecting to see 20,000 units at $.XX per unit (notice the difference in the decimal location).

TD tech support people think that maybe FM is failing to read the investment type coding correctly and as a result isn't handling the data as intended.

Thanks for the help.

Bill
fiscalis

Postby Mark » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:23 pm

Hi Bill,

Could you email me one of your position files and the symbol of a specific investment showing this problem? I'll take a closer look.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:47 pm

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the position file.

The example symbol you provided is categorized as "MB" investment type, which is "Mortgage Backed". I see the position file says you own 20,000 shares. I'm wondering if this initial transaction came in as an MB also? Fund Manager doesn't do anything special when importing MB investments, so if it is consistent between the transaction and position files everything should work out. Do you have the transaction file that shows you buying 200 (or 20,000) units? Did you import this from a TD Ameritrade *.TRN file? I assume you didn't manually edit the initial purchase after importing?
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions