Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Clean up Rounding Error

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby elliots » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:07 am

Mark,

During reconciliation with an online broker I have a rounding error in the cash account -- out in the 3rd decimal and beyond. Not a major problem, but annoying as it will repeat and I'd like to clean it up. I know how to fix the error, but how do I find the transaction to fix? (All transactions here have been imported/generated by FM.) The data register for the cash account only shows 2 decimals for the amount; all the transaction shares columns are 0 in the 3rd decimal and beyond, and prices are an even dollar. I tried changing the default prices decimals, but it doesn't seem to affect the amount column in the data register -- I can turn off cents, but not expand the field.

Suggestions?
elliots

Postby Mark » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:30 pm

Hi Elliots,

Set the 'share digits' to 6 under "Options / General Preferences... / Display". Next, use the "Data Register" with the "Investments (all)" data type selected. Look for any transactions that have a non-zero digit past the rounding point. Fund Manager should normally correctly record these without rounding errors. For manually recorded transactions, please read:

http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/help ... rrors.html
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby elliots » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:58 pm

Mark,

Thanks, that fixed it. FYI, there were 2 transactions (mutual funds) downloaded from the Scottrade retail web site.
elliots

Return to Prices and Transactions