Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Price update from morningstar

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby Perry » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:34 am

I can get historical prices for berkshire stock (BRK-B) from the yahoo server. From what I can tell I must use the symbol BRK.B in order to get transactions updated from my brokerage account. I therefore I believe I must use a different server like morningstar for prices however it does not seem to work although I do not get a message saying it could not update prices for BRK.B. The attached file shows a graph for both BRK-B from the yahoo server and BRK.B from the morning star server. Anyone know what my problem is?
Thanks
P
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (73.75 KiB) Viewed 1342 times
Perry

Postby Mark » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:35 pm

Hi Perry,

Retrieving transactions uses the CUSIP, and retrieving prices uses the symbol. This way you can set the symbol for whatever is needed to retrieve prices, and the CUSIP is used for updating transactions/prices when retrieving from your broker. So, if you want to retrieve prices for this from Yahoo, use BRK-B as the symbol.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Perry » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:22 pm

Changing from morningstar to wallstreet journal server fixed the problem. Also switching back to the yahoo server with the BRK-B symbol and putting the CUSIP number in the stock properties also fixed the problem. Without the CUSIP number but still using the BRK-B symbol caused, when reconciling, BRK-B to show in fund manager but the statement to show BRK.B. Adding the CUSIP number as you suggested seems to have fixed this.

Thanks
P
Perry

Return to Prices and Transactions