Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

One Stock - Two Different Quotes

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby 2whiteroses » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:38 am

I am having a problem getting accurate quote for RDI. I have historically had it in one portfolio I track but newly placed it in another for tracking from 1-2-09. The symbol is the same in both portfolios, though in one portfolio the file is called rdia.dat and in the other it's rdi.dat. There is a .10 difference in valuation. On the older it's 3.94 and on the new listing it's 3.84. There were no trades on the stock on 1-2-09. I've used Yahoo for both pricing.... Which is accurate? Why the difference?
2whiteroses

Postby Mark » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:03 pm

Hi 2whiteroses,

The valuation is determined by multiplying the share balance times the price. So, check the share balance on your 2 investments, and make sure they are identical. Next, check that the price is the same in both investments. One both the price and shares are the same, then the valuation will also be the same. You can use the Data Register, or create a Portfolio Value report to look at the price and share balance as of a particular date. If the share balance is not identical, look at your recorded transactions. The share balance is simply a combination of all your recorded transactions, which you can view/edit in the Data Register.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby 2whiteroses » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:49 am

My apologies for using the wrong terminology... It's not the "valuation" that's different but the price quote I see for RDI (Reading International Class A). In the newer entry where I just recently moved it into a different portfolio, it's 3.84 for 1/2/09 and on the older one it's 3.94. The stock symbol for each entry is RDI yet I am getting two different final quotes as of 1/2/09. Older file is called rdia.dat and the newer one is rdi.dat but they have identical tracking symbols of RDI and both final quotes were retrieved using yahoo. There were no trades in the stock on 1/2/09.
2whiteroses

Postby Mark » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:44 am

Hi 2whiteroses,

I see. Where are you viewing the price quote? Are you looking in the Data Register under the "Prices" data type? That is the best place to look for this issue. If you are looking at the graph of price plus distributions, and one of your investments has more distributions recorded than the other, this would cause the price plus distribution value to be different. If you look in the Data Register and they both have the same symbol, and are both set to retrieve from the same server, they should both have the same price. Another item to check is in the "Investment Properties... / Internet Retrieve" tab to make sure you don't have some multiplier or inverse option set on one of them.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby 2whiteroses » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:11 pm

I think I figured out what's actually being shown.... I was told to use 3.84 to transfer the shares, so that's the entry point being used by FM for 1/2/09 in the new listing since there was no trades for that day. That's why there's a difference between the two. That raises an unrelated question, though. I bot AOD on 1/2/09 at 6.35 and entered it into FM, but AOD closed at 6.89 on 1/2. FM picks up performance from 6.89 start instead of from my 6.35 cost. Could I have entered something wrong?
2whiteroses

Postby Mark » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:32 pm

Hi 2whiteroses,

Glad you figured out the first problem.

Where are you looking at performance? Depending on what figure you're looking at, you can either get performance between 2 dates, or gain/loss from your cost basis.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions