Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Strange problem while updating prices

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby aldwin » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:34 am

Hello,
i was trying to update prices on my investments, but with Yahoo (historical) i've been able to update them only up to 13th September.

After that date it appears to be working (no error given) but it only updates last friday prices.

Am I doing something wrong?
aldwin

Postby Mark » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:38 am

Hi aldwin,

How are you confirming the prices are missing? Use the "Prices" data type in the Data Register.

Does this happen for all your investments, or only a certain one? You might check on Yahoo, and see if they are missing historical prices for this one investment.

Also, make sure you have the latest quote module by using "Help / FM on the Web / Check for Updates...".

If you still have troubles, please let me know a sample ticker symbol that won't update.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:59 am

Hello,

Yes, Yahoo doesn't update historical prices since the 13/09 for many tickers. I think of european ETFs. I don't know why. Just an example: PUST.PA
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:37 am

Hello,

Thanks for the info Djobydjoba, I see the same missing history for the example you provided.

Hi aldwin, If Yahoo is missing the data, then FM won't be able to retrieve it from that server. You might try and find it on one of the different quote servers.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby aldwin » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:07 pm

Thanks you all.
Switched to WSJ servers and everything is fine now.
aldwin

Postby pm76tn » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:49 pm

Hello,

I am from Italy and my portfolio consists mainly of ETFs quoted in Milan

A few examples:
XD5E.MI
CSSPX.MI
CSNDX.MI
CSPXJ.MI

I do confirm that:
- until 13th Sep 2018 all worked fine with Yahoo Servers
- after that day NO prices update UNLESS (and this is my speculation) you do MANUALLY a price retrieve (I say this because on my graphs I am pretty sure that the few prices I see after 13th Sep 2018 are the ones of the days I used FM to save new investments and probably did also a price retrieve)

I have checked on Yahoo website a few tickers and in fact they provide ALL historical prices until 13th Sep 2018...after that day the only datas provided refer to the current day.

I do speculate this has something to do with the acquisition made by Oath...

Anyway my question is: is there some other server working with FM from which I can retrieve the prices of ETFs quoted in Europe?

I do really hope you can help me...
pm76tn

Postby Mark » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:11 pm

Hi pm76tn,

I see the same issue with Yahoo. If you use the "current" just regular "Yahoo" quote server, that properly retrieves the current price, but the historical "Yahoo (Historical)" server is unable to get prices after September 13, 2018 which is also consistent with the lack of this data on their website. So, you can use Yahoo every day, or try and switch to another quote server.

I took a quick look, and it appears your first example (XD5E.MI) is available on the Wall Street Journal servers (both current and historical) using the symbol:

etf/IT/MTAA/XD5E

For more on using the WSJ servers, please see these instructions.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:42 pm

Hi pm76tn,

The new Financial Times quote server is very good too, probably more exhaustive than WSJ for european ETFs. The only thing is that only the 30 last prices are retrieved. If you want older prices, they are there in FT, but you have to grab them manually, then import them in FM.
Djobydjoba

Postby pm76tn » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:31 pm

Hi Djobydjoba,

my bad that I did not check the forum in the last few weeks...your advice to use the Financial Times quote server works just perfect :D

as you said, it does only retrieve the last 30 days (which is more than fine once you know it :wink: )

now I just need to find a way to grab the missing datas (2 months) and then manually import them in FM...so good luck to me!
pm76tn

Postby Djobydjoba » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:29 am

pm76tn, before importing in FM a rework has to be done with the date format, because in FT it's something like: "Wednesday, December 19, 2018"

After a copy-paste from FT in Excel, with a few Excel formulas you can convert the date format to MM/DD/YY (for example), then import in FM.
Djobydjoba

Postby Arrow » Sun May 17, 2020 1:03 am

Djobydjoba wrote:pm76tn, before importing in FM a rework has to be done with the date format, because in FT it's something like: "Wednesday, December 19, 2018"

After a copy-paste from FT in Excel, with a few Excel formulas you can convert the date format to MM/DD/YY (for example), then import in FM.

Could you please help me explaining how to convert the date format in excel in order to import prices ?
I've tried with the custom formula but I've got lost.
Thanks for your help

Arrow
Arrow

Postby Djobydjoba » Sun May 17, 2020 2:51 am

Hi Arrow,

I'm not a formula expert at all, I made a quick dirty thing. I got lost too with a custom formula, so I separated the steps in three separate formulas (columns). Even after that I rework a bit in Notepad++. It's not sharable, sorry!
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Mon May 18, 2020 8:06 am

Hi Djobydjoba,

Are you saying the forum wouldn't let you share it, or the document was private, so you couldn't share it? Just checking, because you should be able to attach a .txt file.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Mon May 18, 2020 8:19 am

Hi Mark, I must not have expressed myself clearly, I said to Arrow that I couldn't provide him a presentable Excel formula for the data conversion from Financial Times.
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Mon May 18, 2020 8:21 am

Hi Djobydjoba,

Okay, thanks for the clarification.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions