Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Fidelity Investment Account Not Retrieving Cash Positio

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby B2B_Investing » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:34 am

I recently opened a Fidelity Investment (not Netbenefits) account and am having trouble retrieving the default cash account (SPAXX - Fidelity Government Fund). When I retrieve transactions it does not pull the transactions anymore.

In full transparency, I started to retrieve transactions across all accounts earlier and I believe it did see the cash position then. I cancelled the account setup because I was trying to manage the accounts one at a time and now cannot get the setup or transaction back. Weird. There have been subsequent transactions settling trades but those are not coming through either.

The other odd thing is if I use reconcile to compare what is in fund manager with what is at Fidelity, it does not detect SPAXX either.

When I originally setup the subportfolio I did not include a cash account. I historically have always had the cash portion as a MM fund and just let the transactions reconcile out of that account to keep the account balanced.

Thoughts on how to fix this?

Jason
B2B_Investing

Postby Mark » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:51 am

Hi Jason,

It sounds like maybe Fidelity isn't reporting the cash transactions specifically. You might want to enable the default cash account and set it to SPAXX.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby B2B_Investing » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:25 am

I will give that a try Mark. In the retrieve transactions summary window, I see the check box for automatically making offsetting cash account entries can say check from session to session. That is a good solution. Thanks!

I am sure I am not the only one with a Fidelity Account that has experienced this. How have others dealt with this? Did monthly interest have to be manually entered?

Jason
B2B_Investing

Postby Mark » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:01 am

Hi Jason,

Typically you want to always leave on that option in the "Preview Importing Transactions" dialog. In cases where you don't want to use a default cash account, just leave the portfolio property for default cash account set to (none).

I'm not sure how Fidelity normally reports, but I don't recall any issues here. Having a default cash account assigned can pull in more transactions, that are assigned as "Investment Banking Transactions". Without a default cash account, these type of transactions are skipped. I'd just suggest experimenting, and you can figure out how Fidelity is reporting items. I would also guide you to our tutorial on tracking cash, which covers using a default cash account.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions