Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Yahoo (Historical) vs Yahoo (Adjusted Historical)

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby CGB » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:02 am

Hi Mark,

I am no longer getting "Yahoo (historical)", only "Yahoo (adjusted historical)" prices, from the internet. The FM "price update options" are set to "Yahoo (historical)", but "Yahoo (adjusted historical)" comes up when retrieving.

Several of my stock holding have been overwritten with adjusted historical prices, and now my historical data is messed up and I need to correct it by downloading historical prices (not adjusted for dividends/splits).

Please help. Thank you.

CGB
CGB

Postby Mark » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:46 am

Hi CGB,

If "Yahoo (Adjusted Historical)" comes up, then check 2 places:

1) Options / Internet Settings...
2) Investment Properties... / Internet Retrieve

The first item is the global setting, and the second is your investment specific setting, which can either use the global default, or override the quote server. It sounds like your investments are set to override the global default.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby CGB » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:38 pm

Thank you.

I had it set to default in both places. However, looking at the Yahoo site it looks like historical prices are adjusted for splits (but not dividends) so still have the price history problem after downloading historical prices.

In addition, if I right click to get historical prices in the portfolio manager the entry window is correct ("Yahoo (historical))". If I hover over the task bar button for portfolio prices it also says "Yahoo (historical)", however the entry window says "Yahoo (adjusted historical)", so not sure whats actually being retrieved using the task bar button?

If the only difference between the two Yahoo historical options is adjustment for dividends, is there a FM server that provides historical prices that are not split adjusted?

CGB
CGB

Postby Mark » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:42 pm

Hi CGB,

When you press the toolbar button it retrieves all open investments. If you have even 1 open investment set to "Yahoo (Adjusted Historical)", FM will retrieve that investment from that server, and then all the others from whatever they are set to. Hovering over the toolbar icon just shows the default quote server, but not necessarily what all the investments are set to. If you right mouse click and choose "Retrieve Selected Historical Prices" it will retrieve only that selected item, and so if it is set to Yahoo (Historical), that is what you'll use. To help you quickly see what all your investments are set to, use "View / List Columns..." in the Portfolio Editor, and add "Historical Quote Server".

If you retrieve from Yahoo (Historical) all the quotes are adjusted for splits. If you have split transactions recorded this should record all the pre-split prices correctly. I believe the only historical quote server that doesn't adjust for historical prices is Quandl.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby CGB » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:12 pm

Thanks. Worked like a charm.
CGB

Return to Prices and Transactions