Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Rounding off numbers

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby clay c » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:25 pm

I see that there is a difference in how Fund Manager and Brokers round their numbers, so that when reconciling their statement, there is always a difference in account value because of the rounding method. If each security value is off by .01, then for an entire account, it can often be off by .10. This seems to happen because Fund Manager rounds up to the next cent when the 3rd digit in the value after the decimal is over 5. But in reality, the 3rd digit is ignored and dropped off by the brokerages since you can't split a penny. Is there a way to change the way Fund Manager round numbers so that it won't round up?
clay c

Postby Mark » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:37 pm

Hi clay c,

Sorry, no, there is no option to control this. I'm wondering if this is a standard, to always round down. If so, maybe we should change the way we round values, or at least make it an option.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Ivan » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:41 pm

I would be surprised if the difference between the way all brokers round and the way FM does is that they all round down. I have all our investments at Vanguard and I do occasionally see a 1 cent difference in the value of an investment, but probably only about 1 time in 50. I have assumed it might be a rounding difference when the third decimal is .005. In my case it is certainly not a problem. I see it just one or two days a month on a single investment.
Ivan

Return to Prices and Transactions