Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

name change glitch?

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby JeanneMarie » Wed May 16, 2018 9:40 am

I had a stock and it changed its name while keeping the same trading symbol but changing cusip. During a transactions update or reconciliation or something, FM (2014) recorded this as a sale and purchase of the same security using the right number of shares. So the Data Register looked fine, correct cost and commission and shares and curr. value.

Updating and reconciling never alerted me to a problem or suggested any issues (but this only happened on May 7). It was only when I created a report that I ran into trouble because the cost was cut in half. This is not about reports however. It's right there in the portfolio editor at half the cost. Click to the Data Register and all is correct.

I searched here and read about spin-offs but decided to start by just deleting the two entries for the name change. Voilà all is right with the world.

Am I missing something or is this just a little bug? Should this have been recorded as a spin-off? I'm not a professional so recording the dates here is not a big deal. Still inquiring minds want to know. :wink:

Thanks.

Addendum: Fidelity recorded this as two transactions: +1000 shares and -1000 shares.
JeanneMarie

Postby Mark » Wed May 16, 2018 8:58 pm

FM will record this however is reported by your broker in their OFX feed. On corporate actions like this you may need to just handle it manually. In this case, no transactions are needed, you can just change the appropriate properties of the investment.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby JeanneMarie » Wed May 16, 2018 9:39 pm

Mark wrote:FM will record this however is reported by your broker in their OFX feed. On corporate actions like this you may need to just handle it manually. In this case, no transactions are needed, you can just change the appropriate properties of the investment.

Fine as far as it goes, but cutting the cost in half after removing then adding the same number of shares--ending with the original number of shares and no cash moving--seems like a problem. Showing one cost on the Data Register but another in the Portfolio Editor (and the latter, incorrect cost gets into the reports), ditto.

No need to debate it. Just a bug report. But the bug isn't needing to handle it manually, it's the anomalies in the cost.
JeanneMarie

Postby Mark » Thu May 17, 2018 5:02 am

Are you sure you were looking at the same type of cost fields in the different windows? Can you send or post screen shots showing a discrepancy?
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions