Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Investment Switch

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby jcasey » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:43 pm

My bank has switched all my mutual funds (18) from A series to F Series which I am told will have higher returns but I will now be paying an an additional amount for investment advice from the bank. The old A funds have had the total balance switched out and then switched back in to the F fund. The F funds have about a 10% higher price, thus the share count will be lower to make the dollar amounts from the A funds equal to the dollar amounts in the new F funds.
Both A and F funds have exactly the same shares but the accounting/fee structure is different, hence the different price. (This is my understanding of the situation - I may be wrong)

Can I make this investment switch in Fund Manager without creating a whole new set of mutual fund files? I have tried transferring out the total of the old A funds and then transferring back in at the changed price and share count but that appears to mess up my cost base.

Sorry if I am not using the proper terminology for some of these actions, etc. I have been using Fund manager for over 20 years now and this is the first time I have run into this problem.

Any help is much appreciated.

John Casey
jcasey

Postby Mark » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:35 am

Hi John,

You can handle this a couple of ways:

1) Just record a "split" transaction with a ratio of <new shares> for <old shares>. If necessary, change the name/symbol.

2) Use the "Transfer Between" wizard. Right mouse click on the source investment, and choose "Investment Data / Transfer Between...".

Both methods will work, and retain your cost basis. I prefer #1, as it is simpler, and you end up with only 1 investment. #2 works also, and makes it more obvious that a change happened, but you end up with 2 investments, one for the original, and one for the new.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby jcasey » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:15 pm

Thank you very much Mark. That was quick and easy. Thank you for Fund Manager.
John
jcasey

Return to Prices and Transactions