Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Retrieving history from US or CDN database

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby -Andy- » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:48 pm

When historical prices need to be retrieved for a portfolio holding a mix of CDN and US equities, what's the best way to add a hint to the symbol, or somehow indicate which server should be used for each equity?

For example the portfolio holds Telus shares (T on the TSX) but if I retrieve historical from Yahoo, I'll probably get T on the NASDAQ which is AT&T instead. For some CDN equities I could add the suffix .TO so Yahoo knows it should retrieve that symbol's history from the TSX (.TOronto), but that's a lot of editing for each symbol and likely not the right way to make it happen.

Is there a way to configure Fund Mgr to retrieve from a U.S. server if the equity currency is USD and retrieve from a CDN server if it's currency is CAD? Or a different method?

Thanks
Andy
-Andy-

Postby Mark » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:51 am

Hi Andy,

Sorry, no, Fund Manager doesn't factor in the currency assignment when retrieving. It simply looks at your assigned quote server and the symbol. So, you do have to make sure the symbols are set appropriately for whatever quote server you choose to retrieve from.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby -Andy- » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:09 am

Thanks Mark.

I found a feature you mentioned in another post, setting specific quote servers for investments (https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/intrtv.html) so I'll have a look at that, vs adding a prefix or suffix to symbols so they specify the exchange, in the format a particular server uses.

Regards,
Andy
-Andy-

Return to Prices and Transactions