Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Scan QFX list empty when importing transactions

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby MartyP » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:31 pm

Hello!
I'm missing a very fundamental concept! I have a downloaded QFX file from Citibank in my Downloads folder. The file name is SAV_XXX_[start date]_[end date].qfx where XXX is the last 3 digits of my account number. I created an sub-portfolio in FM the includes the full account number. Files to import is pointing to the QFX file. If I click Scan QFX, the list is empty. Seems to me FM doesn't have enough information to perform the import. What am I missing? This is the only account in which I hope to import transactions by this method. Thank you!
Marty
MartyP

Postby data8504 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:21 pm

Hi Marty,

I infer from your formatting that the OFX data only contains the transaction history from one account. If this is true, you don't really need to scan the file and pick an account. All you should need to do is say "all accounts," (there is only one) and then below in the "Import to Fund Manager Portfolio" section, pick your desired subportfolio.

If you do this, does FM do what you expect? Let me know.

-Matt
data8504

Postby MartyP » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:50 am

Thanks for your reply, Matt. Followed your suggestion. After I click Next in the Import Financial Exchange (OFX or QFX) Transactions dialog, the window titled Preview Importing Transactions window is empty.
Marty
MartyP

Postby data8504 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:12 am

By any chance are you importing cash balance transactions? (as opposed to investment transactions?)

And if so, does your target subaccount have a pre-existing default cash investment?
data8504

Postby Mark » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:34 am

The other possibility is that your QFX file is not for an "Investment" account, but a "Banking" account. They are 2 different types of accounts, and Fund Manager only supports "Investment" account transactions, like buying/selling investments, receiving dividends, etc. Banking accounts have checking, saving, and credit card type of transactions, and wouldn't be recognized if you're importing into Fund Manager.

You can open up your QFX file in a text editor, like Notepad, and search for:

BANKACCTFROM

or

INVACCTFROM

to tell what type of account you have in your QFX file.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby MartyP » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:31 am

Still not working. Since this is a savings account so there are no investments except cash transactions. To me liquid cash is part of my investment plan.
Here is what I did:
I created a new subportfolio with the wizard named Citibank test. Since I did not choose a brokerage for syncing, the only option was Manual Entry. Further in the wizard process, I created a new investment called -1599 and manually entered an opening balance within the wizard and then finished the wizard.

When I check the subportfolio properties it shows -1599 as the default cash account. In the Portfolio editor, with Citibank test highlighted the -1599 account is displayed on the right with the opening balance I entered.

In the Import Open Financial Exchange (ofx or qfx) Transactions dialog my settings are:
Single file: Points to my qfx file in the Downloads folder
All accounts
All dates
Import into Fund Manager Portfolio: Specified Citibank test
Skip Transactions Already in Fund Manager Investment unchecked
Create New Investments as Needed: checked

Import|Transactions|File Exchange (ofx, qfx) still yields an empty transaction window.

When I attempt the import, I have Citibank-test highlighted on the left side of the Portfolio Editor.

This is making me feel very stupid.
Thanks for your help.
Marty
MartyP

Postby Mark » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:36 am

Hi Marty,

Since it is a savings account this is probably a "Banking" account, and not an "Investment" account, so you won't be able to import from this type of QFX file. You can still track it in Fund Manager, but you'd have to manually enter it. See my prior post on how you can confirm what type of account is in this QFX file.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby MartyP » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:15 pm

It's a BANKACCTFROM account so I'll track the cash with manual entries. Thanks for your time!
Marty
MartyP

Return to Prices and Transactions