Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Data vendors with Fund Manager

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby Djobydjoba » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:30 am

Hi Mark,

I'm concerned about the free access of quotes for the future. If another quote server would have to shut down the service, there would be probably a data supply problem for me (to analyze the markets I use 100 currency pairs, +200 indexes, etc...)

Currently this is still OK, the data are available for my needs, but I'm thinking ahead. So I've started to look at the offers available from the data providers. This is expensive but I think I could pay 50 to 100$ per month for good data, if I had too.

There are plenty of data providers on the Internet, with different data and pricing. Personally, EOD (End Of Day) data is probably what I would need. The Reuters Datalink seems interesting to me. It is used by the MetaStock program but can be subscribed alone. We can choose from 5 data packages, each for 25$/month. This is just a first idea.

For EOD data, the Metastock file format seems quite used among the EOD vendors. Would an (automatic) import of this file format in Fund Manager be possible?

Each user has his own needs regarding data, so I guess it is tricky to implement a solution / data provider directly in Fund Manager that would satisfy everyone. So I guess automatic import commands in Fund Manager could be the way to go, in order to deal with these custom data providers?

This is just raw preliminary ideas. Again, currently is it still OK for me with the free quote servers, but for how long. So I'm interested to know how you consider this question, the integration and/or interfacing of data vendors with Fund Manager.
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:36 am

Hi Djobydjoba,

I understand your concern. We'd be happy to try and help integrate the ability to retrieve from paid data suppliers into Fund Manager. There are currently a few options related to this:

1) Quandl. They offer a premium service, where you can pay for data, and FM supports this service as a quote server, so you can retrieve any data you have access to from Quandl.

2) Generic Price Import. If you have another source of data you can likely import it with this command.

3) <local file> quote server. This is a pseudo quote server where FM will retrieve from a local file you specify. It works just like any other quote server, so all the same options can apply here, like retrieving automatically, scaling prices upon retrieval, etc. It supports 2 different file formats currently, but we could add more if there are some common formats used by data suppliers, like the MetaStock file format you mentioned. If you subscribe to a service, and have a sample data file, we can take a look at adding support for it.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:18 am

Hi Mark,

Thanks, I feel reassured, it is good to know that if we have a need in this regard you are willing to consider it.

The local file quote server looks like a great thing.

So far, so good. If the situation with free quotes erodes further I will certainly look seriously at paid data suppliers, and likely will come back to you.
Djobydjoba

Postby StephenL » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:34 am

Thank you very much to both of you for raising and answering this topic. I can now envisage using the virtual portfolio functionality of one of my providers to allow me to generate a local file in future - it sounds as if my needs are far simpler than Djobydjoba's, and I do not want to have to pay for a feed.
StephenL

Postby darrell » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:59 am

Quandl access would be great.
darrell

Postby Mark » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:30 am

Hi darrell,

Since this thread was created we have added both Quandl and a "<local file>" quote server. For info on how to use each of these, see the "Details" links in this list next to that server:

https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/intrtv.html
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions