Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Yahoo Real Time and Historical prices

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby Phil » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:32 am

Hi Mark

Was a user previously of Google Quote Servers and when downloading prices for JSE data used a multiplier of 0.01 which then provided me with all pricing in my preferred format of Rands and Cents. Now since having had to switch to Yahoo equivalents I find that unless I use a multiplier of 1.0 Historical prices are 1/100th too small and Real Time prices are received in the Yahoo conventional format of Cents. Can you suggest some change which I could make to be able to receive both in my preferred R.c. format?

Regards Phil
Phil

Postby Mark » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:19 am

Hi Phil,

Unfortunately, there is only one multiplier option, so you can't set it differently for historical versus current quotes. Maybe this is something we need to add. You can set a different quote server/symbol between current and historical servers, but not multipliers. Maybe there is a different server/symbol you can use for one? Can you give me an example ticker symbol you're looking at on Yahoo?
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Phil » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:13 am

Hi Mark
Thanks for your prompt reply. Have tried everything I can think of and not found a solution. So as am not a trader will now only be using the Historical updating option (multiplier 1.0) in future - which seems to work. And I can't quite understand why as the Yahoo's pricing is in Cents, which to obtain a result in Rands and Cents, should logically require a multiplier of 0.01. So perhaps it might be a of idea to allow for different multipliers for Real Time and Historical quote servers. You could experiment with AGL.JO (Anglo American PLC)
Possibly relevant in how investments I are priced in a Portfolio is the following;
Price/File/File Operations/Scale prices the default factor is 1.0 but could be something else
could you comment on the use of this function.

Regards

Phil
Phil

Postby Mark » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:35 pm

Hi Phil,

I do see that Yahoo is reporting the current price 100X those of the historical prices for that symbol... The "Scale Prices..." command is used to scale all pricing data for investments in a sub-portfolio. It probably isn't something you'd want to use here. You can read about this command in the documentation. Sticking to only retrieving historical prices might be a good option for this case.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions