Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Not sure what happened

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby StephenL » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:30 pm

I am a new personal user. When I was evaluating, I had Fund Manager set up on my C: drive and downloaded Interactive Broker files. Within IB I trade USD, EUR, GBP, JPY equities. I found that the Quicken format file provided by IB was not set up correctly for Fund Manager (currency translation issues), and used Money instead. Then the transactions in the files read in correctly in currency. So far so good.

Today I was guided to the portable/Cloud installation, and implemented that. After I did this I noticed that my JPY positions were clearly reflecting prices in EUR (my base currency) and JPY translation was at 1 to 1. I am not sure when or how this happened but it is a mystery to me. I checked one transaction in the ofx file, and the JPY/EUR rate implicit in the new version of the transaction I looked at is the price attributed on 19/10/17 to the currency pair (0.0074904), not the exchange rate quoted in the ofx file (0.0074776). So it looks as though the transactions had the FX rates in Fund Manager applied to them at some stage.

Of course I can load all the transactions again, but before I do so would like to know whether I may have set some option incorrectly, or whether this may be a one-off due to the move to portable so will not recur.

If I can/should load the transactions again, is there an easy way to delete the transactions without removing the investments for a portfolio?
StephenL

Postby Mark » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:28 am

Hi StephenL,

If things were correct before moving to portable/cloud mode, there should be no need to re-import transactions. It is probably a setting off somewhere. Let's start with this:

I noticed that my JPY positions were clearly reflecting prices in EUR (my base currency) and JPY translation was at 1 to 1

Where/what exactly are you viewing? Investment market value in some window? Is "View / Exchange Rate Adjusted" checked? What are your settings for JPY -> EUR under "Options / Currency Settings..."? Are you using a constant rate, or maybe you used to have an exchange rate investment assigned, but it got un-assigned during the move to portable mode somehow?
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby StephenL » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:56 am

Mark,

Thank you very much.

I think that your last suggestion is most likely the problem. I did indeed find that the currency option had defaulted back to constant as opposed to the symbols I had set up, presumably as a result of the move to the portable installation. Interestingly this was not just a matter of the transactions and prices displaying incorrectly in some views - they had been imported purportedly in JPY or USD or whatever but multiplied by the ruling rate per the historical Yahoo rate for those currencies of the day, I assume to force back to the constant 1:1 rate.

Anyway, it looks good again now. I will be doing quite a bit more testing, and have two other small brokers (and no OFX files, so generic imports) so may find other issues, no doubt again due to my needing to set options correctly.

I did delete and re-import transactions, so do not know whether the currency option alone would have been enough - but thinking about what I saw and your understanding of the environment, very probably.
StephenL

Return to Prices and Transactions