Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Failed to update prices on Google server

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby bohemian » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:15 pm

My FM 2018.15.2.100, Quotation module 529 and Transaction Module 234 running on Windows XP.

2 days ago, I can't update any investments from Google server. Is it a problem from Google?

Thanks.
bohemian

Postby Mark » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:23 pm

Hi bohemian,

Yes, it is a problem with Google. Unfortunately, they have stopped providing the same service previously being used by Fund Manager. We plan to remove all the Google quote servers from Fund Manager. You can switch to any other available quote server, like Yahoo.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby bohemian » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:07 am

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your advice. But I had problem with updating prices on Yahoo server just 2 months ago. :( I followed your advice to select another server and switched to Google. Now it failed again. :cry: I have to change and work on all symbols once again. :evil:

I am working on Hong Kong based stocks, which server I should choose to have the most reliability?
bohemian

Postby Mark » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:01 pm

Hi bohemian,

I'm sorry for the troubles. It is the nature of the freely available quote servers we use, that sometimes they can change, or stop working altogether. I can't say for sure which server would be the most reliable, but in general Yahoo is a good choice. There was a temporary issue with Yahoo a few months ago, but it has been resolved, and is working again. I'd probably suggest switching back to Yahoo, but it is your choice.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby kinwolf » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:37 am

I was wondering if I was going crazy! After the long weekend I tried to update the missing days using Google historicals and then noticed all traces of google servers were gone from FM. Sad to see it's due to another change from a "free" service from google :(

But now the problem is, there is no more Historical servers to update Canadian Mutual Funds. I tried Yahoo Historical but got the error
Could not update any investments
WARNING: Server used but did not update any prices: (YAHOO-HISTORICAL)

Stockwatch historical does not seems to carry mutual funds. Any other alternative?
kinwolf

Postby Mark » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:08 am

Hi kinwolf,

Canada Stockwatch should have historical mutual quotes. Did you look up the quotes on Yahoo or Stockwatch? They very well may use a different ticker symbol than you were using on Google, so you'd have to change the symbol. Links to all the quote servers are available here:

https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/intrtv.html
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby kinwolf » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:00 am

Hi,

Thanks for the tip. I digged deeper on Stockwatch I found one mutual fund by name, and indeed they use a completely different, and weird, symbol. Wonder why they do not use the official one. But at least it will work again. Thanks!
kinwolf

Return to Prices and Transactions