Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Pricing overwrites previous day

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby AIM » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:28 pm

Hi Mark,
Have been having an issue with Price retrieves. Running 2016.14.15, Quote module 528, Transaction module 233(although this problem has been going on for awhile). I'm using Yahoo Quote Server and Yahoo Options.
When I right-click and Retrieve Selected Prices, the pricing for the day updates, however it overwrites the previous day's Last Price with the current day's price. It also wipes out the previous day's O/H/L & Volume. This happens with Equities & Options.
For Equities, I end up retrieving historical prices some time later on to correct the bad pricing. For Options, there is no historical pricing so this doesn't work.

Is anyone else seeing this problem? Is there a solution to this issue?
Thanks.
AIM

Postby olbap » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:21 am

I have a similar problem using Yahoo quote server running FM 2018.15.2.100.
When I download prices at around 5:30 - 6:00 pm CT, if a mutual fund price is not updated, it enters the price from the previous day. This occurs with only a few funds, most notably with PIMCO funds.
I have also found that when downloading previous day prices the next morning before market opens, some stock and ETF prices do not agree with previous day close.
olbap

Postby Mark » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:05 am

Hi AIM and olbap,

AIM, sorry we hadn't replied earlier, somehow we missed your post. Not all quote servers provide OHLV. I would suggest focusing on a single investment and a single quote server to try and narrow down the cause. You can look at the price retrieve log files to help. (Help / Logs / Price Retrieve (both regular and detailed).

olbap, Yahoo will update the price for the most recently available data. For funds, this may be yesterday's price if the current day's price isn't available yet. For stocks before the market open, you may be getting an after hours price, I'm not sure. At the time you retrieve, you can go look with your web browser what price Yahoo is reporting. You can also look in the log files as I described in the answer above. If you only want closing prices, you might want to use the Yahoo (Historical) server instead.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby olbap » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:12 pm

Mark,

After I hit submit to post, I realized that updating quotes the following morning instead of historical quotes for the previous day would have been the reason for the mispricing. Thanks for your help!
olbap

Return to Prices and Transactions