Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Price Retrieve Fails - intlog3.txt file locked

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby marcal » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:00 am

A month or so ago I started having price retrieve problems no matter which quote server was selected. A few days ago I updated from a very old version to FM 2018 and the problem persists.
When trying to update prices I get the message dialog "failed to open intlog3.txt for writing".
I have tried closing FM and going into the /../..app data/roaming/fund manager/ folder to delete the intlog3 file but cannot with the message " action can't complete because file is open in Fund Manager".
The only way I've found to delete this file is to reboot the system to get the file handle lock released.
After deleting the intlog3 file the price retrieve will work once. Then the file is locked again.
After closing the FM program and going into Task Mgr I don't see fm.exe as an open application or process. (if there's another process to look for I don't which).
I also have a command line bat file to open FM and update prices. This is run nightly from the Windows Scheduler. However the intlog3 file lock seems to occur no matter how fm.exe is launched.
Incidentally I haven't had any problem retrieving transactions.
OS is Win7 32b. FM 2018 with quote module 528.

Regards,
marcal
marcal

Postby Mark » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:40 am

Hi marcal,

You might try this to clear things up:

1) Run "File / Backup..." and save a backup of your data.
2) Uninstall Fund Manager. Make sure the "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Fund Manager" folder is deleted. If not, delete it. Make sure any shortcuts you use to start Fund Manager are deleted, like under the "Start \ All Programs \ Fund Manager" menu. If not, delete them.
3) Reinstall Fund Manager. Use the shortcut at "Start \ All Programs \ Fund Manager" to start the program. (You don't want to be starting the program as an admin).
4) Use "File / Restore..." to restore all your data to the original location.
5) Try a price retrieve a couple of times. Do not open the log file if prompted, to try and prevent any locking of the log file.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby marcal » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:05 pm

So far it seems that a complete clean re-install has resolved the issue. I've retrieved prices, exited, relaunched, retrieved, half a dozen times now without issues.
The un-install didn't go quite cleanly. The un-installer would not delete fm.exe or inteng14x.dll. (they were locked)
I had to reboot the system to manually delete them. Then I manually deleted all fm and beiley keys from the registry and folders from system drive.

Thank You. Seems ok now.
And also a thanks for being so attentive and responsive to user's problems through all the years.

Best Regards,
Mark M.
marcal

Return to Prices and Transactions