Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Problems with Quandl prices from LSE

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby Exspextations » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:33 am

Hi Mark,

I have just started a new investment portfolio in UK stocks. Unfortunately, Yahoo and Google list very few of the stocks of interest.

Prices are available from the LSE via Quandl, but there is a problem with FM. While the prices for the Open / High / Low area quoted correctly, the calculated value at Close is incorrect (see attached examples - NB in the Amino Tech investment the pre-19th Jan prices are from Yahoo (one of the few that they do track) and the 19th Jan is data from Quandl.

I tried accessing the data from Morningstar.co.uk as an alternative, but don't know which parts of the URL string (compared to mutual fund data) is required - see example attached - any suggestions?

Pity the FT.com server is not available via FM as this would solve all my UK investment problems :(

Thanks
Attachments
Prices Issue - 1.pdf
Morningstar screen dump
(240.14 KiB) Downloaded 266 times
Prices Issue - 2.pdf
Example of FM Prices downloaded from LSE via Quandl
(140.31 KiB) Downloaded 275 times
Exspextations

Postby Mark » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:05 am

Hi Exspextations,

Yahoo should have LSE stocks. For example, the City Pub one you showed uses the symbol of CPC.L on Yahoo. I just test retrieved it, and it retrieved properly. If you want the price in pence, use "Yahoo", or if you want it in pounds you can either set a multiplier of 0.01 on the retrieve, or set it to "Yahoo - UK & Ireland" and it will automatically retrieve in pounds.

Google also has LSE stocks. You do need to record the symbol as it is on each server. For example, on Google these symbols start with the exchange, so it would be LON:CPC. Just visit the desired quote server with your browser, and search for the symbol. Links and instructions to each server are here.

If you still want help with Quandl, please let me know what "Quandl Code" you're using to retrieve prices. This is what you set as the symbol for your investment in Fund Manager.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Exspextations » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:01 am

Mark,

Thanks for the feedback.

I searched for City Pub using the ISIN code GB00BYWRS683, but Yahoo and Google both found nothing when I searched - most of the other funds / stocks list okay when I go this route - I also tried City Pub Group PLC ORD GBP 0.5, which is the stock name, again dew a blank, but using simply City Pub brought up the code you gave - guess there is some inconsistency in the way they are documented on the website.

As for Quandl, I used LSE/CPC, which brings up the correct data / chart on the web page, including prices, it just doesn't download correctly. As Quandl downloads the data incorrectly, I have changed the server for City Pub to Yahoo.

With reference to the Morningstar UK query, there is one stock I can't find anywhere except on Morningstart UK - Shepherd Neame Ltd - where it is shown with a code SHEP (ISIN: GB00BMQX2R72). The FT.com website brings up data with the code SHEP:ISD, while the ADVFN website gives it as quoted on the NEX exchange (http://www.nexexchange.com) - not sure if this information helps. Is data from the NEX exchange something FM could access?

Using the code from the Morningstar UK URL would give me daily data but using the 'code' from the URL, as has to be done with mutual funds, does not work. I have tried different bits of the URL code, but none has so far worked - any solutions?
Exspextations

Postby Mark » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:23 am

Hi Exspextations,

When I look up the symbol SHEP on Morningstar it finds the investment, but the data is all blank. I am looking at:

http://www.morningstar.com/stocks/XPLU/SHEP/quote.html

You might try another quote server we do support, like WSJ or Reuters to see if they offer this quote, and display it okay.

Other quote servers could be added to FM, but you can't retrieve from them unless they are made available. I would suggest checking on the other servers, they may very well already have that quote.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions