Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Failed to update prices on Yahoo server

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby bohemian » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:21 pm

My FM 2018.15.2.100, Quotation module 527 and Transaction Module 233 running on Windows XP.
A day ago updating prices from Yahoo servers failed, an error message (system error code 122) appeared and all stocks can't update .
Please advice how to solve it
Thanks.
bohemian

Postby Mark » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:47 pm

Hi bohemian,

It seems there is some new issue accessing Yahoo from XP. Fund Manager uses the same windows module to access the internet as Internet Explorer. Can you open up Internet Explorer (it must be Internet Explorer, and not a different web browser), and try to access:

https://query1.finance.yahoo.com/v7/fin ... ols=LDO.MI

You should get some text returned, starting with "quoteResponse". Are you able to access that link okay from IE?
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby bohemian » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:03 pm

I didn't get any text returned, starting with "quoteResponse"

Oops! Page Not Found
Sorry, the page you were looking for could not be found.

Above is the text I got when access that link from IE

Thanks
bohemian

Postby Mark » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:01 pm

Hi bohemian,

Thanks. If IE cannot access that link, then FM won't be able to either. It looks like Yahoo has updated their required security level on that server, to the point that IE8 under XP doesn't work with their site anymore. You can see the SSL server test here. If you scroll down to the handshake simulation section and look at "IE 8 / XP" you can see it isn't working.

I'm guessing that with IE under XP you can't even view their main page at:

https://finance.yahoo.com/

Can you access that with IE under XP? Unfortunately, it is looking like you'll either have to upgrade to a newer version of Windows, or switch to a different quote server besides Yahoo.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby bohemian » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:21 am

Hi Mark,

You are correct, I can't access the Yahoo finance main page at https://finance.yahoo.com/ with my IE under XP

Any plan to communicate with Yahoo and work on this problem?

I won't upgrade to a newer version of Windows in near future, so switch to a different quote server besides Yahoo is my only option? Cause it's quite a lot of work to change every stock symbol for a new server(around 300).....

Thanks.
bohemian

Postby Mark » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:38 am

Hi bohemian,

Sorry, but we don't have plans to address this with Yahoo. We don't have any special connections with them, and I suspect they have purposely made this decision. Such old versions of IE don't support the latest security improvements.

You only have to change the symbol on your investments if the new quote server you select uses a different symbol than Yahoo. Hopefully most of them are standard, so you don't have to change them. For US based stocks/funds this is usually the case.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions