Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Wrong high values with Google in some cases

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby Djobydjoba » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:00 pm

Hi, me again...

Most of my index investments use the Google (Real Time) as primary server and Google (Historical) as secondary server. I have regularly big spikes in my TA graphs for these index investments (let's say 5 spikes per quarter), due to a wrong high value (a very low high value to be precise) that is retrieved. These mess up the graph. The spikes are for several (or many, or all) indexes for a same day, so it is not related to a problem with a particular investment. I've investigated the problem, I think it can be reproduced when the price retrieval is done the week-end with Google (Real Time), and so the wrong high value is retrieved for the prior Friday. So most of the time the problem is with Friday prices, but there can be other days than Friday where a wrong high price has been retrieved. For example, I have wrong high values for the 23/11 for some US indices. Perhaps it could be related to public holiday.

When I delete the prices with wrong high values and do an historical price retrieval with Google (Historical), the prices are always correctly retrieved then. But often too the prices may not be retrieved for some days, so this could prove that some days perhaps there was no quotation, and that Google (Real Time) had retrieved an invalid / non existent price. It's my guess. For example, if I delete the problematic price for the 23/11 and do a download with Google (Historical), no prices are retrieved for this day. Because of this, just doing an historical retrieval of prices doesn't fix all the spikes, manual deletion is often necessary for some.

Here's a screenshot of the S&P 500 graph:
https://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/9226 ... 1h4701.png

The spikes and very low high values can be seen for the 23 and 24/11. (PS : and the volume is 0 too)

With the symbol of the S&P500 (INDEXSP:.INX) for example, you should be able to reproduce the problem (at least a part of it) if you do a retrieval with Google (Real Time) the week-end.

Thanks!
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:51 am

Hi Djobydjoba,

Is the problem that Google is reporting an incorrect price, or Fund Manager is importing it incorrectly? If you're using Google (Real-time) FM should be pulling in the exact price shown on their website. If this isn't the case, you can confirm if FM is pulling in some wrong data by looking at the detailed price retrieve log (Help / Logs / Price Retrieve (Detailed)...), and the imported price in FM. If FM is pulling in a wrong price, please email me the detailed log, and the price FM pulled in versus what it should have been based on what is in the log.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:28 pm

Hi Mark,

In fact the problem (wrong High and Volume values retrieved with Google Real Time quote server) seems at any time.

Here are the prices displayed on the webpage:

20171128-mar.20h04-01.png
20171128-mar.20h04-01.png (17.23 KiB) Viewed 2332 times

What is retrieved:
20171128-mar.20h27-01.png
20171128-mar.20h27-01.png (19.62 KiB) Viewed 2332 times

The Close, Open and Low are correct (the Close value is refreshed constantly, so it have changed the time of the screenshot). High and Volume are incorrect. High: the first number is missing (621,31 instead of 2,621.31)

For information, I use the 1.000,00 Number Format in General Preferences (don't know it this is useful to know).

The Price Retrieve (Detailed) log is attached to this post.

Thanks.
Attachments
intlog_debug.txt
(130.5 KiB) Downloaded 238 times
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:48 pm

Hi Djobydjoba,

Thanks for the nicely detailed problem report. I see the same issue, and will investigate.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:44 pm

Hi Djobydjoba,

We've just released quote module 526 to fix this issue. Please let me know if you see any more problems.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:28 am

That was fast! Seems fixed, thanks!
Djobydjoba

Return to Prices and Transactions