Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Bond and preferred stock prices

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby cheider » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:36 pm

Hello,

I recently downloaded Fund Manager and I'm trying to figure out if it will automatically update prices for bonds and preferred stock. For bonds, if I change the symbol to match the Finra "ticker", will that prevent automatic transaction updates from my broker? I'm assuming these transactions have to match on the symbol used by the broker.

A similar situation with preferred stock. My broker (Interactive Brokers) uses symbols such as LTS PRA. If I change the symbol in Fund Manager to LTSPRA, I can get a quote from Morningstar. But I need to know if this will prevent .qfx transaction downloads from Interaction Brokers being able to update the position.

Thanks.
cheider

Postby Mark » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:51 am

Hi cheider,

You can change the symbol in both these cases without a problem. The transaction retrieve and QFX import are both based on CUSIP, not symbol. So, you can set the symbol based on your price retrieve needs, and CUSIP for transaction retrieve. Also, most brokers provide pricing data when you retrieve transactions, so you could just rely on the broker for pricing data too.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions