Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Yahoo Issues

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby BrentCook » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:08 pm

I downloaded the new version of FM. I have used it for about 15 years. :)

Even downloading the new version, I am having an issue with Yahoo.

One fund that I perviously owned, and sold three years ago, is now causing an error when I update prices using Yahoo.

The message says, "The following symbol/server combination failed to update. prsux from (yahoo).

I can't figure out how to stop this error.

Please help.
Thanks!
BrentCook

Postby Mark » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:13 am

Hi BrentCook,

There was a change in the new version regarding when you get notified of prices that can't be updated. Previously you would only get a warning if all symbols from a given server failed to update. Now, the default warning level is if any symbol that is marked for retrieve fails to update, you'll get a warning. The failures were probably happening also in the old version, you just weren't being notified. See the new option at:

Options / Internet Settings... / Advanced Options... / Warning Level on Retrieve Failure

The new default is "Symbol". On the old version, it worked as if this setting were at "Whole Server".

You can either change this option to not warn you, or better yet, fix the investments that aren't updating. Either correct the symbol/server settings for these, or just turn them off from retrieving. You can turn off "Investment Properties... / Internet Retrieve / Retrieve Price" if you don't want to retrieve an investment's price, like if it doesn't exist, or you can't find the quote on a server. So, just look through your retrieve log (Help / Logs / Price Retrieve...), and go fix the investments that failed to update.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby kinwolf » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:11 am

Hi,

I was using Yahoo only for the TSX composite. I am now trying to use WSJ using the GSPTSE symbol and "Index" as the Investment type, but it always fails to retrieve the symbol. Any ideas why?
kinwolf

Postby Mark » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:34 am

Hi kinwolf,

The symbol would need to be recorded as:

index/CA/XTSE/GSPTSE

for this quote. I just tested it here, and it is working. For details, see:

https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/intrtv.html#WSJ
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby kinwolf » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:40 am

Thanks, that worked! Very informative help page too, wished I had though of looking it up first :|
kinwolf

Return to Prices and Transactions