Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Free distribution of shares

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby richard » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:23 am

Mark,

How do I enter a free distribution of shares ?

On a given date a company whose shares I own has distributed a number of shares at no cost. Am puzzled on how to enter this ?

Richard
richard

Postby Mark » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:13 am

Hi Richard,

It sounds like the best way would be with a split transaction. If there was no taxable distribution, and just new shares, then a split would be best. Record it with a ratio of <new shares> for <old shares>. If there was some distribution value, you can record this as a reinvested distribution, where the number of shares is the new shares you received, and the distribution value is the value of the distributed shares.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby richard » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:47 am

Mark,

I don't think that the distribution is taxable (not absolutely sure will check on this). Doing a split bothers me a bit. The shares are evaluated as the other shares. For example if I hard 1000 shares worth $75/share at closing, I would now have 1100 shares at the same closing value.

If I used a split the value of each share would diminish by the split ratio.

Here what diminishes is the cost/share since I now have 1100 shares for the same cost as my original 1000 shares.

That's my problem.

What I thought I could do was add the 100 shares as a reinvestment distribution with a zero value, but Fund Manager doesn't let me do that.

Is this thing peculiar to Europe? Here with certain companies it happens fairly often.

Richard
richard

Postby Mark » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:51 am

Hi Richard,

So, the market value went from $75,000 one day to $82,500 the next day, without you adding any money?

If so, you could use the split, and just keep the price at $75 across the split date, instead of dropping it proportionally as normally happens around a split.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby richard » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:23 am

Mark

So, the market value went from $75,000 one day to $82,500 the next day, without you adding any money?

If the market reflected that, yes. The value the next day would be what ever the market determined; without my adding any more money.

If so, you could use the split, and just keep the price at $75 across the split date, instead of dropping it proportionally as normally happens around a split.

See above, the price is not actually constant; it is what ever the market value is the next day.

This type of distribution is only done for a certain class of share holders (in France called nominative) and is independent of dividends distributed to all share holders. In my case it involves about 10% of shares held.

Richard
richard

Postby Mark » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:47 pm

Hi Richard,

It sounds like the split is fine, just record the market price at whatever it is. I was just saying, you don't have to drop the price proportional to the split, like normally happens around a split. I realize there are market fluctuations, and you can record the price at whatever is appropriate, independent of entering the split. If you prefer not to use a split, you could also record a "Transfer In" or "Buy" transaction to acquire more shares, without any cost. All of these are going to reflect the same in terms of performance calculations.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions