Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

TESTING YAHOO QUOTE SERVERS FOR HISTORICAL DATA: UK FUNDS &

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby BillB » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:47 am

Hi Mark,
I'm a private investor with FM Pro eval version, looking to buy it mainly for use with UK based open-ended funds & UT, denominated in GBX. I have a couple of questions:

Can you please confirm that the FM quote server on Windows always uses the IE components for internet access, even if IE is not the default browser.

And if so, are there any particular requirements for the IE version? I'm running IE 11.0.9600 on Win7 SP1.

The reason for asking is that I'm seeing some flakiness when I try and fetch historical UK funds data from uk.finance.yahoo.com, using Firefox (my normal browser). I want to do some controlled tests to see if I get similar symptoms getting historical data in a browser to what I get in FM.

Thanks for your time - yours seems to be the only product and forum that has any interest in providing private investors with historical UK fund prices, a huge market!

Cheers, Bill
BillB

Postby Mark » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:32 am

Hi Bill,

Yes, Fund Manager always uses "WinINet", which is a component of IE to access quote servers. It is part of Windows. It does not matter what your default browser is set to. I don't have an official answer on the minimum IE version, but any 11.x version should be fine.

Yahoo is recently experiencing issues with mutual fund historical quotes. Many are missing for the last week or so, and some ETFs on the LSE are having erratic/wrong prices. If you can see the correct historical prices on Yahoo with your browser, then Fund Manager should also be able to retrieve those same historical prices. I'm not sure of the status, but you might wait, or see if your quotes are available on any of the other quote servers we support.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby BillB » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:50 am

Thanks Mark, appreciate your very speedy reply.
What I'm planning is to run a standard 'Yahoo historical test' to get prices for say 4 ISIN's twice a day for 10 days (UK open-ended funds), using a browser and FM. I'll let you know how I get on.
Cheers, Bill
BillB

Return to Prices and Transactions