Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Retrieve Transactions is pulliing in duplicates for some

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby ltlBearand3 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:28 pm

I have my 401k from Vanguard set up in Fund Manager. When I go to retrieve transactions I have three funds that continue to pull in multiple copies of the same transaction. I have cleared all my dat files and started over more than once, but continue to have the problem. It is only happening on three of the funds and it pulls in each transaction 6 times. I have recently noticed that the funds in question do not have an associated stock symbol. How can I set up fund manager to only pull in the one copy?
ltlBearand3

Postby Mark » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:13 pm

Hi ltlBearand3,

Do your funds have a "CUSIP"? Do you have the option checked to skip transactions already in Fund Manager when you do the retrieve? Is it adding new transactions to existing investments, or creating a new investment?
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby ltlBearand3 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:58 pm

Mark, Thanks for working with me. Yes each one has a CUSIP, but is looks like some sort of autoid rather than a real CUSIP. (For example - VGI006900). Yes I have the box check to skips transactions already in the fund. It is not duplicated existing transactions but bringing in the new transaction multiple times. When I get the summary page from retrieving transaction, the same transaction will be listed multiple times. It does not create a new investment, but adds to an existing one and if I don't catch the extra transactions will overstate my position in a mutual fund.
ltlBearand3

Postby Mark » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:32 am

Hi ltlBearand3,

Do you maybe have more than 1 sub-portfolio set to retrieve that account? Maybe it is being retrieved multiple times. If you retrieve only the one lowest level account sub-portfolio, and do not check the option to also retrieve sub-portfolios, do you still see the duplicates? If so, take a look at the xmldump.txt log file right after this retrieve of a single sub-portfolio, and see if you see the duplicates in there.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby ltlBearand3 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:55 pm

The funds in question are only in one sub-portfolio. I also just retrieve records for each sub-portfolio separately. I don't know exactly what you want to see in the dump file, but the same BUYMF section is listed multiple times in a row (each section matches the one before it).

For example this section:
Code: Select all
- BUYMF
   - INVBUY
      - INVTRAN
         - FITID (-----------------------------)
         - DTTRADE (20170619160000.000[-5:EST])
         - DTSETTLE (20170619160000.000[-5:EST])
         - MEMO (Price as of date based on closing price)
      - SECID
         - UNIQUEID (VGI006900)
         - UNIQUEIDTYPE (CUSIP)
      - UNITS (0.2749)
      - UNITPRICE (115.75)
      - TOTAL (-31.82)
      - SUBACCTSEC (CASH)
      - SUBACCTFUND (OTHER)
      - INV401KSOURCE (PRETAX)
   - BUYTYPE (BUY)

is listed 6 times in a row in the file.
ltlBearand3

Postby Mark » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:46 pm

Hi ltlBearand3,

That would explain the duplicates. For some reason the Vanguard OFX server for this account is returning the duplicates. You can try and contact Vanguard about this issue. If it is coming down from Vanguard that way, there is nothing that can be done about it in Fund Manager, besides you un-checking these duplicates at retrieve time.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions