Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Portfolio and Investment File Directory

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby dbender54 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:20 pm

Recently, When initiating a backup (File--> Backup), I've begun to receive a message that " All of your investment and portfolio files are not in the same folder. Having all data files in the same folder makes restoring them to a new computer easier. Would you like to use the "set Data Location" dialog to adjust this?" I received this message in the past and simply accepted the directory that came up (because it was the same one I'd been using) and FM moved whatever files it needed into that directory. Now, If I click OK to the "New Location" (same as the old location), I get "Unable to move portfolio file" (click OK) and I get "Successfully set data location. No data files needed to be moved." I can then save the backup to the same directory where it's been for some time.

Any thoughts on whether this is actually a problem?

Thank you.
dbender54

Postby Mark » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:36 pm

Hi dbender54,

Where is your portfolio file currently being stored? You can check by looking at the properties of any sub-portfolio. Is that the same as your investments? Are there any other details shown in the error message?
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby dbender54 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:50 pm

The properties of one of my sub-portfolios in FM shows: Users\username\Documents\Fund Manager\

The dialog box to which I referred shows: \\Mac\Home\Documents\Fund Manager. I am using FM in a Windows VM on a Mac. "Home" refers to the user's home folder, no different than if you had a Windows machine with multiple users (each would have their own home folder). In that same subfolder (Fund Manager) is another folder called Autoback. Within \\Mac\Home\Documents\Fund Manager are files dated yesterday.

This actually began some time ago when FM prompted me with the same message indicating that not all the investments were in the same folder (no idea why). I chose \\Mac\Home\Documents\Fund Manager and have been using it since that time. Whenever I added a new investment, I'd get the same prompt, use this same directory and everything indicated the files were moved into the same folder. Now it says they aren't, so I choose the same folder I've been using, then it says FM can't move the files; then FM says they didn't need to be moved.

I've added some screenshots.
Attachments
3 Response to Clcicking Ok to Dialog 2.png
3 Response to Clcicking Ok to Dialog 2.png (10.85 KiB) Viewed 1633 times
2 Set Data Location.png
2 Set Data Location.png (17.74 KiB) Viewed 1633 times
1 Promp to Set Data Location.png
Dialog Box 1
1 Promp to Set Data Location.png (20.67 KiB) Viewed 1633 times
dbender54

Postby Mark » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:22 am

Hi dbender54,

Is your portfolio file really just: Users\username\Documents\Fund Manager\ or does it maybe also have a drive, like: C:\Users\username\Documents\Fund Manager\ ?

You might use the Portfolio Editor window, and add the "Location" field. Make sure all your investments and portfolio file are being stored in the same folder. There may be something odd happening under your VM. We only officially support Windows. If the "Set Data Location" command is giving an error, you can try to manually re-save any files not in the same folder. It may also be that they are in the same folder, but being addressed differently, like:

C:\Users

vs.

\\Mac\Home

even though they are pointing to the same location. As long as your files are getting saved okay, it really doesn't hurt anything to have them saved in different folders (or have FM think they are different, but actually the same).
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions