Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Foreign vs 'default' price conversion

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby MichaelBurian » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:59 pm

New user .. I have successfully imported a large porftolio, and am still setting it up ...
How do I control the way FM interprets currency in the download prices?

I have US and Canadian stocks, with proper currency settings for each (I think).
My default currency is CAD with correct conversion "investment" for USD
The download prices are in USD for the US market stocks, and CAD for the Canadian market.
But FM is then applying a currency conversion to the foreign (US) prices - as if they were quoted in Canadian - making them wrong.
I used the Stockwatch Canada price server. The ticker symbols I have imported do not have a market flag (ie: CNR, not CNR-T; JNJ not JNJ-Z) but the correct quote is coming thru regardless.
If I leave the currency set to 'default' the US stocks are priced right - but the values are not converted for reporting.
MichaelBurian

Postby Mark » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:17 pm

Hi MichaelBurian,

Price updates are always in the native/assigned currency of the investment. So, whatever price your quote server is reporting for your USD investments is updated, assuming that price is also in USD. You might play with turning on/off "View / Exchange Rate Adjusted" to figure out what is going on, and look at your prices in the Data Register under the Data Type of "Prices". When that option is off, you're seeing all the prices as recorded, and they should all be recorded in that investment's native currency. When you turn on that option, all your prices are now displayed in your default currency, using the exchange rate settings you've applied under "Options / Currency Settings...". So, first make sure all the prices are correct in the native currency, and then turn on the option to exchange. If they aren't exchanged properly, check your exchange rate settings, including the assigned currency of your investments. In case you haven't seen the tutorial on this, please see:

https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/tut ... video.html
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions