Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

What date is used when retrieving current internet prices?

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby av8rdave » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:11 pm

When you click on the Retrieve Price (or run a job that uses the "/I" option) which date does it use? Does it use the date from the quote server, or the date from my computer?

For example, if I run this while sitting in Thailand after US market close, will it use the date of the US market close, or the date of my computer in Thailand? As 5PM Eastern is 5AM Thailand, the next day.
av8rdave

Postby Mark » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:44 am

Hi av8rdave,

It varies by quote server, but most of them use the date provided by the server. If a server doesn't provide a date for the quote, then the "default date" is used, which you have control over. By default the "default date" is the current date of your computer. If you're using the default quote server of Yahoo, that does provide the date, so the prices will be updated for the date specified by the quote server, independent of your computer time.

We have documentation on each of the quote servers here:

https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/intrtv.html

and if a server doesn't provide the date the details section will state the quote is updated using the default date.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby av8rdave » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:21 pm

Thanks for the info, Mark. I thought I remembered something about a default date, but could not find it until you pointed it out. Thanks.

Most of my updates use the Yahoo server, so I won't have an issue. A few don't update with that one, so I have them set to Yahoo-Alternate. I see this one uses the "default date" instead of the server date, so I will need to make adjustments based on what time zone I am in at the time.

I also use FondsCheck for a few things that I can't find anywhere else -- the DJIA, and the price of Gold and Silver. However, I cannot find in the documentation anything about whether this server supplies the date, or not. Their website is not in English, and I cannot find this info. Do you know whether it supplies the date?
av8rdave

Postby Mark » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:50 pm

Hi av8rdave,

Yes, FondsCheck supplies the date of the quote. Our documentation could probably use some cleaning up, but in general, if it doesn't say it uses the "default date", then the date is provided by the quote server. I did verify this is the case with FondsCheck.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby av8rdave » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:08 pm

Thank you very much, sir.
av8rdave

Return to Prices and Transactions