Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Closing Subportfolio

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby dbender54 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:09 pm

In 2016, I had a subportfolio2, which was liquidated into cash and the cash transferred into the next level up Sub-Portfolio1 as below

Master Portfolio
--Sub Portfolio1
---Sub-Portfolio2- liquidated

Since all the investments and values/performance are now in the Sub-Portfolio1, can I simply close the Sub-Portfolio2 since we're in a new year and I'm now not concerned about retaining the performance stats of the old Sub-Porfolio2? Sub-Portfolio2 has 0 in assets and will have no residual dividends or interest accruing.

Simply right click on the Sub-Portfolio name in the Portfolio Editor and choose Close?

Thanks.
dbender54

Postby Mark » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:23 pm

Hi dbender54,

Yes, you can do this. Since it is in Sub Portfolio1, your performance of Sub Portfolio1 will not include anything that happened in Sub Portfolio2 either. It will be like it never existed if you close it. You could also consider "hiding" it. You can do this in the properties of Sub Portfolio2.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby dbender54 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:34 pm

Thanks. One further question. If I hide the sub portfolio instead of closing it, will FM continue to retrieve prices and transactions?
dbender54

Postby Mark » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:35 pm

It is up to you. If you turn off the "Retrieve Price" option on all the investments in there, then it won't. You can use "File / File Operations / Hide Sold Investments" to mark all the investments in that sub-portfolio as hidden, and turn off the price retrieve option.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions