Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

create new portfolio Fidelity

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby david » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:25 am

[attachment=1]account positions FM.JPG[/attachment][attachment=1]account positions FM.JPG[/attachment]Hi Mark
have stop using your software couple of years ago for unrelated issues.
Feel tempted to start again using the new release on a new computer without any previous installs .
However,like to make it as easy and "painless" possible.
Since my last interaction I now have options on my accounts and wonder if I can use the retrieve update choice on using the wizard to create a new Master portfolio or will be easier to do it manually,I do not like the idea of having to spend time editing/reconciling etc.
here are two pics of one of my accounts
Attachments
account positions  optionsFM.JPG
account positions optionsFM.JPG (32.63 KiB) Viewed 2150 times
account positions FM.JPG
account positions FM.JPG (30.28 KiB) Viewed 2150 times
david

Postby Mark » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:32 am

Hi David,

If your account is with Fidelity, the easiest thing is to use the New Portfolio Wizard to retrieve transactions and positions, and then going forward just retrieve transactions. Retrieving transactions also updates prices with end of day pricing. If this is sufficient, you don't need to worry about also retrieving prices. If you do want to retrieve prices more frequently, you can get option pricing from "Yahoo (Options)". You do have to make sure your option investments are recorded with the symbol used by Yahoo, and that they are assigned to this quote server.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby david » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:46 am

thank you Mark
my concern is about those symbols used for options as shown,I have used FM for years and have no issues with just using the stocks/etf/mutual funds etc.
However when I see the symbols used for options as per pics,will they show on the portfolio and subsequent updates? and impact the total portfolio value?
david

Postby Mark » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:14 am

Hi David,

Yes, any investment will be included in the total portfolio value. The prices for these options (or any of your investments) can be updated daily when you retrieve transactions. Even if there are no new transactions, the broker still provides daily closing prices. When retrieving transactions, transaction/price updates happen via the CUSIP, so you don't need to worry about how the symbol is recorded. If you want to retrieve more often than daily, then you can use Yahoo (Options) with the price retrieve feature, but you do have to make sure the symbols are recorded as Yahoo has them. To find the symbols for options, look up the underlying stock at Yahoo, and then click on the "Options" tab.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby david » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:24 am

thank you Mark
sent an email asking for directions,not sure if I have a current version or I need to purchase a new version,changed computers and have no idea where I am.
thanks you again
David
david

Postby david » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:26 am

disregard my question on version
just received your response via Email
take care
David
david

Return to Prices and Transactions