Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Missing Transactions?

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby heidiasst » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:08 am

Entered trades yesterday, double checked portfolio at the end of the day.
Everything was accurate.

This morning I noticed that numerous trades from yesterday are gone. The investment is no longer even listed in the Sub Portfolio where it was originally.

To make matters more confusing, the buys and sells are showing up in the cash detail of the sub portfolio.

Obviously I can recreate yesterday's activity but I am more concerned about it not happening again.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Heidi
heidiasst

Postby Mark » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:51 am

Hi Heidi,

Sorry to hear about the troubles. If you're missing some investments from a sub-portfolio, then the *.mm4 file would be the issue. If you're missing some transactions from an investment, then the *.dat file for each of those investments would be the issue.

Do you know the full path/filename of the *.mm4 file you normally open? If you go look at it, what is the date modified time? Was it after you made your changes? (If you've saved it since, then this won't be helpful to debug the problem.) You can check the date modified on the *.dat files too.

Do you store your data files on your hard drive, or are they on a shared resource, that could have maybe been modified? Is it possible someone else also had the same data files open at the same time? FM is not truly networkable, so if multiple people are accessing the same data at the same time, whoever saves last gets their changes saved, and will overwrite changes made by the other open instance. For more on using Fund Manager with multiple users, see:

https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/faq_multiuser.php

As a possible recovery option, check to see if Fund Manager made an automatic backup on your last exit. If so, you can restore from that, and it should have all your last changes. See "Options / General Preferences... / Data" for the frequency and location of where your automatic backups are being stored.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby heidiasst » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:03 am

Hi Mark,

I just checked on one particular symbol and it is gone, so I am missing investments.
No record of it whatsoever in Fund Manager with the exception of it showing up in the "Cash" activity.

As for the Path/file name? I show PikeNew2.mm4* at the top left of the screen when I am logged into FM. Is that what you are referring to? and where would I check on that?

I am the only person who has access to the Fund Manager program (and actually am the only one in the office this week).

I really feel it would be just as easy for me to recreate yesterdays transactions rather than try to recover. I would have to redo everything else I did this morning if I tried that.

My main concern is not to have this happen again.....
heidiasst

Postby Mark » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:09 am

Hi Heidi,

Understood. If you go to "File / File Operations / Set Data Location..." what does it say under "Current Location"? (Just press "Cancel" in this dialog after viewing this information.)

Did you receive any errors when opening Fund Manager today?

Do you have any software that could automatically be restoring files on your hard drive?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby heidiasst » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:24 am

Ok, so the current location is:

C:\Users\Marshall Pike\Documents\Fund Manager

There were no problems opening Fund Manager this morning and
if I have any software that is automatically restoring files, I am unaware of it. We haven't added or removed any software in ages
heidiasst

Postby Mark » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:55 am

Hi Heidi,

Okay, that location seems fine. I can't tell what happened. I would suggest doing a couple things:

1) Go into "Options / General Preferences... / Data" and set the automatic backup to happen every time you exit. This way, in case this problem happens again, you can easily restore.

2) Test things. Make some changes, and quit Fund Manager. To make changes that need to be saved for the portfolio file (*.mm4) you have to modify the properties of some sub-portfolio, or change what investments are in that sub-portfolio. For investments you have to modify some price or transaction data. Make these changes, and then quit Fund Manager. Go look at your *.mm4 file and *.dat files in that folder. Did their date modified time get updated? Start back up Fund Manager. Are all your changes still there?

I can't say what happened without seeing it happen, but by turning on automatic backups, and testing that things are working properly this should hopefully prevent this from happening again. Knowing where your data is stored, and what data is stored in what files will enable you to better debug it if it happens again. If it does happen again, before you make any changes, go look at the date modified of those files. If the files are getting deleted or restored to an earlier state somehow, then something else is going on we're not aware of.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby heidiasst » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:57 am

Update

The Automatic Back up was set up to run on every exit (no change required)

Made changes, quite FM and everything is fine now

Crossing my fingers that this doesn't happen again!

Thanks for your help Mark
heidiasst

Return to Prices and Transactions