Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Zero Purchase Price Interpreted as $1

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby bonafideduck » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:19 pm

I'm trying to keep track of fees, but avoid having a default cash account because I then have to reconcile all purchases and sales. To do this, I create a buy with ANUM=0, and BNUM and CNUM = quantity. My hope would be to have the fees count against my ROI and I'd be able to see the total fees by the total number of shares. But, the price of the FEES is zero and it thus shouldn't average into my portfolio.

Unfortunately, this seems to assume the price to be $1.00.

My datafile:
Generic Fee,FEE,2014/07/02,BUY,0,100,100,Seeding accounts

My Import:
PORT,SYMB,YY/MM/DD,TRAN,ANUM,BNUM,CNUM,MEMO

This is the selection dialog:
result.png
result.png (9.33 KiB) Viewed 1146 times

This is the resulting transaction with a $1 price instead of zero.
import-selection.png
import-selection.png (16.89 KiB) Viewed 1146 times

Am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug.

I am using FM Personal Version 2016.14.9.100.

Thanks,

=mark
bonafideduck

Postby Mark » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:26 pm

Hi mark,

Your transaction has a purchase price of $0, but you don't show the market price in your screen shots. It appears to be $1. You can't have a market price of $0. This is just a limitation in the program. To see the market price, change the "Data Type" in the Data Register to "Prices". I suspect you'll see you have a price of $1, thus the market value equal to the number of shares.

I don't think this approach will accomplish what you are looking for. Since you aren't paying anything for these shares, there will be no impact on your ROI. Actually, it will be a positive impact if you leave them with some market value, given that you paid $0 for them. Instead, you may want to record the fees as an Account Fee type of distribution, instead of a Buy transaction. If you don't want these fees to change any investment balances, record them as "Distributed" (leave "Reinvested" un-checked). The value should be a negative number. You will own 0 shares, but you can add these fees into their own investment if you're trying to not track cash. You can run a Distribution Summary or Custom report to get a total of all these fees.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby bonafideduck » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:07 pm

Thanks, Mark. I changed to a negative DIST_F and that seems to make things work how I would like.

=mark
bonafideduck

Return to Prices and Transactions