Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

transaction doesn't appear in data register

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby doddsjzi » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:49 am

I downloaded recent transactions for a Schwab account. The quarterly withdrawal of cash by my financial manager shows the correct # of money market shares, but the transaction is labelled RnAcctFee (on paper statement under "Activity" Advisor Fee is listed). As it is a reinvestment, there is no resulting change in share balance on the transaction report, and this transaction is not visible in the data register, so I cannot edit or remove it. Of course the Portfolio Value report is wrong. A subsequent transaction for the same money market fund does appear in the data register and on the transaction report. Other than entering a "sell" for the same # of money market shares on the same date, how do I fix this?
This hasn't been a problem before because most of this account's transactions were imported from a Quicken file, where this particular transaction type was simply entered as a sell with a note stating it's a management fee.
doddsjzi

Postby Mark » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:24 am

Hi doddsjzi,

All transactions should be viewable in the Data Register. Make sure you've selected "All Transactions" from the data type drop-down. A Reinvested Distribution of type Account Fee will change your share balance. It is selling X number of shares to pay for the Account Fee. This is the correct way to record an account fee if you want it to impact your performance in a negative manner. If you don't, you can record it as a sell instead.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby doddsjzi » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:16 pm

Thanks for the explanation of the effect the two different methods have. Data Register is marked to show all. Tried repeating download without change and transaction still not shown.
For the time being, I entered a sell to balance the transaction.
doddsjzi

Postby Mark » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:25 pm

Hi doddsjzi,

I'm not following where you're choosing "show all"? That isn't a choice in the Data Register. If you have the Data Type set to "All Transactions", you should see all the transactions in the selected investment. Some possibilities for why you aren't seeing a certain transaction:

- Maybe you're sorting the list by something other than Date, so it isn't in the proper position you're expecting? Click on the "Date" column header to sort by date.

- Maybe the transaction was placed in a different investment somehow? If you know the date of the transaction, run an "Investment Transaction" report for that date, and for the top-most sub-portfolio. That can help you find it if in went into an unexpected investment for some reason.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby doddsjzi » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:17 pm

My apology--"Data Type" is marked "All Transactions" for the money mkt fund and RnAcctFee entry does not show in the Data Registry. though a different entry the next day for the same security does. The transaction not in the Data Registry is present in Transaction Report.
List is being sorted by date. The security doesn't show up as a holdingin other sub-portfolios, and does not appear in their transaction reports for the appropriate period.
doddsjzi

Postby Mark » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:03 pm

Hi doddsjzi,

Since you see the transaction in the "Investment Transaction" report, just left mouse click on the transaction, and that will open up the Data Register to the investment containing that transaction and select that transaction. If you still can't see it, maybe you can email me some screen shots, or give me a call in the office.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby doddsjzi » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:46 am

Attached is a screen shot of above problem (I hope). I DID find this money mkt fund for this sub-portfolio duplicated in another sub-portfolio--it did not show the 7/12/16 transaction, either. It has been removed from the second sub-portfolio. Since doing so, I have tried RECONCILE on this sub-portfolio, without any change in this item.
BTW, I am new to FUND MANAGER, having used Quicken for 15 years--I expect I'll learn to use Fund Manager for most of the things I did with Quicken when I learn more, but I am GREATLYimpressed by the knowledge and responsiveness of the staff, both on answering questions and on improvement on software.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (170.29 KiB) Viewed 3002 times
doddsjzi

Postby Mark » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:47 am

Hi doddsjzi,

It looks like that account fee transaction may be in a different investment with the same name. It may be hidden. Try turning on "View / Hidden Investments/Portfolios", and then go back to the Investment Transaction report, and left click on that account fee transaction again. It should open up to the correct investment and display that account fee. I suspect you have 2 investments in the same account with the same name, and one is hidden.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby doddsjzi » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:34 pm

No go--I'll just add a sell for the same amount to balance; the performance effect this will have doesn't bother me--thanks for your help
doddsjzi

Postby Mark » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:56 pm

Ok. If you change your mind and want to investigate, just give me a call at the office (480-705-0129) and we can do a quick web meeting.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby doddsjzi » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:01 pm

Probably will call about this in 10 or so days--off on vacation.
doddsjzi

Return to Prices and Transactions