Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Cash issue getting an Old Account back up to speed

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby ThomasK » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:56 pm

Hi Mark,

I have data already in FundManager for an account. I simply just stopped using FM to track it. Now I'm putting in 3 years of data.

I've double checked the statements and inputs and there is a substantial difference between the brokerage statement's cash and what FM is calculating.

As I have previous transactions in this:

Question 1:
IFF indeed all my inputs are correct, what actually can mess up the cash balance in FM? I have the previous post where I put in an entry then deleted it and FM didn't simply "go back".

Question 2:
What is the fix? Rebuild cash??

Thanks,
Thomas
ThomasK

Postby Mark » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:35 pm

Hi Thomas,

Cash is just like any other investment. The number of shares you own is the sum of all your recorded transactions. The market value is the share balance times the price, which is normally kept at $1. So, make sure you have the correct share balance. If not, look at your recorded transactions. Once you have the correct share balance, the market value should be correct too if all your prices are $1 under the data type of "Prices".

You could use "File / File Operations / Re-Create Default Cash Transactions...", but this will not correct any external cash deposits or withdrawals.

You might like to watch this tutorial on using default cash:

https://youtu.be/K_OJEOWoqX4
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby ThomasK » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:41 pm

Yes, I've checked my data entries without an obvious solution.

I'm thinking that what must have happened is that I might have made a manual entry in Cash, when it should have been made under the investment itself! Or vice versa!

I know that when a transaction is put into an investment, Default Cash is automatically adjusted. So I also know that the only way for the error to be is that I did the entry while IN the Default Cash account. SO, I'm guessing that is exactly why you coded the "Re-Create Default Cash Transactions" feature!

Am I also correct in assuming that re-creating the transactions wipes all the data? Reason is that I've got a lot of transactions that are manually done but fall under 2 types:
1. Transfers Out (I routinely take funds out)
2. Commissions (I record these in a lump sum)

Question: How can I keep the Transfer Out and Commissions entries? Can I export these and reimport after the re-create calculations are complete?

Thanks
ThomasK

Postby Mark » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:42 pm

Hi Thomas,

Open up that dialog and you will see the options. You have control over what (if anything) is wiped out before re-creating any default cash account entries.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions