Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Suggestions of sources that offer quotes

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby Mark » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:58 am

Hi Djobydjoba,

OnVista politely said "no" to our permission request... It is still a good source to download to a CSV file and then import the prices using "File / Import / Prices / Generic...". Under their table of a few historical prices you can click "Show" and then a new window comes up showing all the requested historical prices, and there is a CSV download link. Download that CSV file, and in Fund Manager's generic price import dialog use:

Specify Date: OFF
Specify Symbol: ON, and enter the symbol for the investment to update
Format: DD.MM.YY;OO;HH;LL;NAV;VV

Also, since this data is formatted as 1.000,00 you must also choose this number format in Fund Manager under "Options / General Preferences..." prior to importing.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:12 am

Hi Mark,

That's a pity, it is really a great source. Manual import is not an option when you have a lot of investments to maintain. Do they fear that the Fund Manager customers overload their servers ? :) For this kind of request the "no" is probably the standard answer, but this does not prevent thousand of macros and programs all over the world to download data on their site without their explicit blessing. Probably in this sort of situation it's better not to ask, do it, and wait for a sign of trouble from them ? My point of view. (p.s. : this post can be delete if can cause trouble)
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:16 am

Hi Djobydjoba,

I think it is a legal issue with the original suppliers of the data, and their contract with them on how they use it, and make it available.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:31 am

Sure, but is it necessary for you to be so conscientious ? The website is at the other end of the world, and do they really care ? The data are already at the disposal for everbody on the website. Again, my point of view.
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:38 am

Hi Djobydjoba,

I don't want to be in a position of violating their terms of service.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:48 am

OK then. Hard to find good free data with super friendly TOS.
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:36 pm

Hi Djobydjoba,

We've just added these 2 quote servers:

Wall Street Journal
Wall Street Journal (Historical)

For instructions, see:

https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/intrtv.html#WSJ

Thanks for your help with this quote server.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:14 am

That's great! The loss of Bloomberg was a good thing in fact, we have now other great quotes sources that are better in many ways! :D Wonderful, thank you Mark.
Djobydjoba

Postby Costas » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:00 am

Hello Mark
I was away and came back and realised that since July 25 there is no possibility to update a bunch of European Mutual funds that were assigned Bloomberg symbols whose prices were retrieved from Bloomberg Historical server...Now this is a serious issue as the price data retrieval advantage was/is the lifeline of FM .. How do we migrate the investments on the Morningstar servers? Where one finds the required new symbols (for Morningstar) ? What happens to the historical prices already in the FM ?
I ve also checked [http://www.boursorama.com/] and looks like an interesting source...

Thank you

C.
Costas

Postby Mark » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:09 am

Hi Costas,

Yes, you missed an eventful period in regards to price updating in Fund Manager. As you probably saw, we had to remove Bloomberg due to their Terms Of Service. We have added several new servers to help fill the void. For Morningstar you have to look up the "id" value they use, and record that as your symbol in Fund Manager. However, Morningstar doesn't offer historical prices, so you might want to look at another option, like FondsCheck which I believe has European Mutual Fund quotes, and you can get both current and historical prices from this server. You might also look at the WSJ server. You can find links to all the servers, and instructions for using each one here:

https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/intrtv.html

Click on "Details" next to any server in that list for instructions on that server.

Thanks for the suggestion of Boursorama. I'd be interested to know if they offer quotes not available on any other server.

Any historical pricing already recorded in Fund Manager is not changed. Once it has been retrieved, it is stored in your Fund Manager investment file for each investment.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Costas » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:10 am

Thanks Mark
I thought that Morningstar would be a solution but I now realise that they only provide latest daily close.. On the Fondcheck we checked a few ISINs without any luck.. they seem to list only a limited universe of funds for which they have a commercial arrangement (eg they dont seem to carry SLGP Short Bonds fund ISIN FR0007386313) which limits their potential ..Also for this SLGP Short Bonds fund (yahoo symbol: FR0007386313.PA) Yahoo displays historical prices but for some reason these are not downloadable..any idea as to what this is happening?
I think that after the loss of the Bloomberg source for historical prices things look a bit shaky at least when it comes to European mutual fund historical prices ..
I think it should a priority to find a tweak around this problem ..

C.
Costas

Postby Costas » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:22 am

Hi again ( follow-up)
We did a few searches on boursorama and it looks like this site offers more complete coverage.. but have no way to check if and how can become FM compatible for downloading historical prices.. It may be worthy a closer examination by you...
Thanks
C
Costas

Postby Mark » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:36 am

Hi Costas,

I see the same issue with the historical price link on Yahoo for that symbol. They display the historical prices on the page, but the "Download Data" link is not working, which is the same source Fund Manager uses. Is it just this one symbol, or are all your European fund quotes working this same way on Yahoo?

It is unfortunate FondsCheck doesn't have this quote. You can get the latest close from either Yahoo or Morningstar FR - Funds. I looked on boursorama, and they offer this quote, but I don't see the ability to download historical prices from boursorama. Do you know if this is available on their site somewhere I'm not seeing?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:42 am

Hi Mark and Costas,

Some sites to try (I haven't really evaluate them myself) :

http://www.fundexplorerpro.com
30 days of historical NAV
They have the FR0007386313 fund

https://fundkis.com
They have the FR0007386313 fund too.
Strangely the NAV history seems not available when the website is in english. So, when in french, clic the "VLs and OSTs" tab

As a reminer
BNP Paribas Website :
https://www.directinvest.bgl.lu/Market-information.
But they don't have the FR0007386313.
Djobydjoba

Postby Costas » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:41 pm

Thanks but the issue is not who displays prices about this or any other fund but rather where FM can download prices for European Mutual Funds with an extensive coverage (FR,LU , UK and Ireland listings are a requirement )...I am afraid we are at an impasse at this point..
Costas

PreviousNext

Return to Prices and Transactions