Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Bloomberg to Morningstar

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby progers1947 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:52 am

Like others, I'm having problems post Bloomberg, all shares changed to yahoo, no problems there, however:

Aviva with profits S4, Bloomberg AVWPGS4:LN I can't find at all

Family Sovereign 3 series 4, Bloomberg FMSV3S4:LN gives an id of VAUSA0732W on Morningstar but I have tried all the Morningstar servers but none will work

L&G (N) Tracker Trust, Bloomberg NATUKTA:LN successfully downloaded from Morningstar Unit Trusts as F0GBR0521O

If anyone can help with the first two, I would be grateful.

Incidentally, my finance package AceMoney will still download from Bloomberg no problem

Peter
progers1947

Postby Mark » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:33 am

Hi Peter,

I looked up the first one on Morningstar, and they do have it quoted, but it is under their "Pensions" section, and not available in their "Funds" section. We would need to add another quote server to support this.

We removed Bloomberg because of their Terms Of Service, not due to any technical limitations.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby ThomasK » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:40 pm

Hi Mark,

I was using Bloomberg servers for my currency data, switching to Quandl...it looks like it hosts many many available free datasets!

I have a question however...is the data accuracy only to 2 decimals or is that only what we see in Prices after the download?

Thanks,
Thomas
ThomasK

Postby Mark » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:24 pm

Hi Thomas,

It probably depends on which Quandl code you're looking at. You can also crank up the precision in FM if you're only seeing the first 2 places. See "Options / General Preferences... / Display / Price Digits" or for reports see "Options / Report Preferences... / General / Price Decimals to Display". If you're still seeing only 2 significant digits, visit Quandl with your web browser, and look up the Quandl code you're retrieving, and see how many digits they show on their site. If it is more than you're getting in Fund Manager, please let me know a specific Quandl code, and I can take a look. FM should import all available precision.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby ThomasK » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:51 am

Here is the link to Quandl's Canadian FX
https://www.quandl.com/data/FED/RXI_N_A ... -US-Annual

I don't want to believe it is only accurate to 2 decimal places!

What server is more accurate?
ThomasK

Postby Mark » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:00 am

Hi ThomasK,

That is the "Annual" Canadian to USD exchange rate, and it is to 4 decimal places. You probably want this one instead:

FED/RXI_N_B_CA

Which is the Quandl code for this same exchange rate, but updated daily. This is also to 4 decimal places. For more options on getting historical exchange rates, see our tips here:

https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/faq ... wnload.php
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby ThomasK » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:18 pm

Great, thanks Mark. I see how (temporarily) setting the displayed decimals in FundManager shows that accuracy indeed!

One last thing regarding internet retrieve for the exchange rates...when using Bloomberg server it would do its thing after Yahoo (used for everything else).

However, now, with Quandl, it "looked" like Quandl was retrieving some stock data...and it skipped my exchange rate retrieval. I used Price History as always before. And I checked the Internet Retrieve settings and all looks good...only the exchange rate symbol as you gave is set to get prices from Quandl. Yet in the end I had to manually fetch the exchange data. Hmmm...I don't think anything would have changed automatically from <default> and I was only mucking about with replacing Bloomberg. Perhaps it is just sleep deprivation (honestly).

Thoughts? I don't want to corrupt my data if two servers are trying to get it.
ThomasK

Postby Mark » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:00 am

Hi ThomasK,

I didn't quite follow this... Make sure you're retrieving from the server you want (Quandl) by looking under "Investment Properties... / Internet Retrieve". That should then get retrieved when you do a price retrieve. What did you mean by "manually fetch"?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby ThomasK » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:50 pm

Thanks Mark,

For whatever reason the Price History retrieval looked like it was acting up. I checked prices and noticed that they were not updating. Seems that when I switched from Bloomberg to Quandl I had set the Edit>Internet Retrieve> Settings to have Quandl as my Default Historical Price Server. No idea how that happened as I only wanted Quandl data for the FX cad/usd .

So I simply switched the global default for historical retrieve to Yahoo (Historical) and all seems quite well now. Despite the fact that I at first set it back to just "Yahoo" and wasn't getting the historical prices...oops.

Thomas
ThomasK

Return to Prices and Transactions