Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Problems with INR exchange rates

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby heinlein2302 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:33 am

Hello, which database is suitable for spot and historical USD vs INR (Indian rupee) exchange rates?

I have been using Yahoo India but it no longer seems to work for historical rates, though it works for spot rates.

Second issue is that price for the USD cash account is no longer getting updated, though it's currency property is set to USD and the currency setting for USD has the correct exchange rate investment assigned to it.

Request your help...

Best regards,
heinlein2302

Postby Mark » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:00 am

Hello heinlein2302,

You can get this exchange rate using the new Quandl and Quandl (Historical) servers. See the code: BOE/XUDLBK64

For help using this new server, please read these instructions:

https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/intrtv.html#Quandl

If your exchange rate investment hasn't been getting updated, then the USD investments will continue to use the most recent recorded exchange rate. Maybe that is the issue?
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby heinlein2302 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:27 am

Hi Mark,

Many thanks for your quick response. I shall use the Quandl server as suggested. But I dont know if it will work for spot rates. When I checked the BOE rate on Quandl it is 4 days old. And I noticed that I can't use different codes for spot and historical price retrieve. Any suggestion to resolve this problem?

Regarding the second point, this problem exists only for the cash balance. Since my spot exchange rates are working, all equity investments are using the latest exchange rate but cash uses an old rate. Any idea what could cause this?

Best regards,
heinlein2302

Postby Mark » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:55 am

Hello heinlein2302,

Quandl shows that price was refreshed on July 11. That is a Monday, so maybe the 11 price wasn't ready yet. The July 8 price would be the prior weekday, so it may really just be 1 day behind, accounting for weekends.

Yes, unfortunately you can't have different symbols for the 2 servers. This is something we may add in the future. The resolution probably depends on how you use the exchange rate. If you're constantly updating the rate, you may not need historical prices. Or, if you need historical prices because you missed a period, you may have to temporarily change the symbol.

Not sure on the cash issue... Where are you viewing the cash balance exactly? Is cash assigned to the exact same currency position as your other investments that are working? For example, if you have USD listed twice in your list of currencies that could cause a problem.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby heinlein2302 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:23 am

Thanks, Mark. Your suggested workaround is quite okay for me to get spot and historical exchange rates. A little awkward, but it works.

On the cash account:

The last date for price (i.e. exchange rate) for cash shows up as March 31, 2016 while the exchange rate investment is updated as of today. For equity investments, the latest updated price is as of today.

There is only one entry for USD in my currency settings.

Are there any relevant screenshots that I can share with you to help diagnose the problem?

Best,
heinlein2302

Postby Mark » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:36 am

Hi heinlein2302,

Which window are you looking at a cash balance/price? The Data Register, a Report, the Portfolio Editor, or where exactly? What date are you looking at it for?

I am not following why you're calling the price for cash an exchange rate? Cash should be an investment, like any other investment, but its price is typically kept fixed at a price of 1, in the native currency for that cash. It can be shown exchange rate adjusted, using whatever exchange rate you have assigned. Maybe you are looking at the historical prices in the Data Register, under the data type of "Prices"? If you're looking at the exchange rate adjusted price of cash on March 31, FM will use the exchange rate for March 31 to display that exchange rate adjusted price. It won't use the current exchange rate to show a price for March 31. I suspect this is the source of the issue. When FM displays some price/value, it is for a certain date. When it is necessary to use an exchange rate, it uses the exchange rate from that same date.

If you turn off "View / Exchange Rate Adjusted", are all your cash prices 1? Look at them in the Data Register (Edit / All Data...) with the data type set to "Prices". Assuming they are all 1 in the native currency, now turn back on "View / Exchange Rate Adjusted" and they should all be adjusted to your default currency, based on your currency settings. If you want to see a listing for a price of cash for today, just record a new cash price of 1 for today.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby heinlein2302 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:47 pm

Hi Mark,

Thanks very much for that explanation. I understood the problem.

Though the exchange rate was updating, I was unable to see the updated "Price" (exchange rate) for the cash investment. On entering Price = 1 for any date, the price register automatically shows the correct exchange rate for cash for that date.

My bad. Thanks again for your patience.

Best regards,
heinlein2302

Return to Prices and Transactions