Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Replacement for Bloomberg Indices

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby Ivan » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:37 pm

Hi Mark,

Now that Bloomberg is no longer available the only option I am aware of for the Dow Jones Index is to use Yahoo Historical. Do you know of a server which will work for the current day?

Also, Bloomberg had a handy index of the S&P 500 Total Return, SPTR:IND. Do you know of a replacement?

Thanks,
Ivan
Ivan

Postby Mark » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:07 pm

Hi Ivan,

You can get the current Dow Jones quote using the new Quandl quote server, and the symbol:

YAHOO/INDEX_DJI

It does not get intraday pricing, but will get the last closing price. For help on using Quandl, see:

https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/intrtv.html#Quandl

Sorry, no, I'm not aware of a replacement for the S&P 500 TR. There may be something out there, but I'm not aware of it. I did a quick search on Quandl, and they have this:

S&P 500 Total Returns Index: $SPXT
Code: BCIW/_SPXT

but it requires a Premium account to access that quote.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby rietti » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:14 am

Hi Mark,
I have a licensed Personal Version 2014.13.8
and now Quote module 496

I have been using Bloomberg both for current and historical quotes for a very long time and I have painstakingly searched and found Bloomberg symbols for its European funds, mostly From Luxembourg, xxx.LX so that now I have literally hundreds of them (not all used but then...).
Look for example at MGLOAEE:LX (Bloomberg) whose ISIN symbol is LU0147396450
Where else can I find it?

Yahoo does not seem to provide access to fund quotes in Europe, nor does Google nor Morningstar.
My first impression is that also Quandl is all but a replacement for my usage of Bloomberg.
Do you have other suggestion?

Guido
Italy
rietti

Postby VFP9Belgium » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:22 am

Hi Mark
I presume that all European Fund Manager users will be in the same boat as Rietti. At least I am.
Bloomberg no longer being available, I do not know where to get prices for European (mostly Luxembourg based) mutual funds.
I tried Quandl, but they do not provide those prices.
This is a big issue...
Kind regards
Alan
VFP9Belgium

Postby Mark » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:44 am

Hi rietti and Alan,

Bloomberg was an excellent source for quotes, it will be difficult to replace. We may need to investigate adding additional quote servers to help cover markets not available on any of our supported servers now. If you're aware of any good sources that offer quotes not on any of our current servers, please let us know. It may take some time, but hopefully we can get our coverage back up after the loss of Bloomberg.

I looked at the example you sent rietti, and I wasn't able to find it on any other server either. The quote server "Morningstar UK - Unit Trusts" does offer many fund quotes from around the world. They had one similar, but not the exact one you're looking for. I think you're looking for:

BlackRock Global Funds - Global Allocation Fund

but Morningstar UK - Unit Trusts only has:

BlackRock Global Funds - Global Allocation Fund A2

Hopefully this server does offer some of the quotes you need. To use this server, you need to find the "ID" value. See the instructions here:

https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/int ... ingstar-UK
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:55 am

Hi,

VFP9Belgium wrote:I presume that all European Fund Manager users will be in the same boat as Rietti. At least I am.
Bloomberg no longer being available, I do not know where to get prices for European (mostly Luxembourg based) mutual funds.
I tried Quandl, but they do not provide those prices.
This is a big issue...

Yes, this is a very bad news. The Bloomberg database was exhaustive regarding european mutual funds and ETF. I'm looking for other sources too. But it seems historical data for european assets are not available easily, which is a shame.
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:02 am

Hi Djobydjoba,

Have you tried the "Morningstar UK - Unit Trusts" server to see if it offers the quotes you need?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:04 am

Hi Mark,

Not yet. I will try it and will sent you a feedback.

Edit : In fact I have no time to deal with it currently. For now I stick with the old quote module...
Djobydjoba

Postby Djobydjoba » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:19 pm

Just for information, a list of data providers :

http://quantpedia.com/Links/HistoricalData

Perharps it's worth digging.. :|
Djobydjoba

Postby VFP9Belgium » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:42 am

Hi Mark

Thanks for the hint about "Morningstar UK - Unit Trusts" .
I did not look there because I assumed (erroneously) that they would not cover Luxembourg funds.... but they do (well, most of them).

So, after some reasearch I was able to locate all the funds I am following but one. That is not too bad.

Kind regards

Alan
VFP9Belgium

Postby rietti » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:09 am

Thanks VFP9 Belgium,
I'll try digging into Morningstar UK - Unit Trusts but it's going to be a long and tedious process.
But the simple fact that Mark did not find the BlackRock fund I mentioned earlier may mean that some funds available in places other than the UK are not covered there.
I'll report here where I am getting to.

Guido
rietti

Return to Prices and Transactions