Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Investment naming extensaion

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby Paul King » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:47 pm

When naming any new New Zealand or Australian share investments, internet retrieve from Yahoo quote servers does not work for me unless the investment name is given in the format: stock symbol (dot) exchange symbol.

The exchange symbol for NZ shares is .NZ and the Australian shares is .AX
What is the exchange symbol for US shares?
Paul King

Postby Mark » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:08 am

Hi Paul King,

For US shares you do not need an extension. You can go to the quote server you're using (Yahoo) with a web browser, and look up the symbols.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Paul King » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:18 am

Hi Mark, thanks for your help.

I deleted the extension and am not getting errors, so presume the investment is updating prices correctly - though nothing beyond my initial purchase transaction is yet appearing

Weirdly, even though I set up a hidden exchange rate investment to convert US to NZ dollars (which seems to be using a valid exchange rate), and even though I recorded the purchase of my US shares in US currency, whether or not I tick exchange rate adjustment for reports, I only ever get the the $US value number displaying. Toggling the report currency conversion option simply changes the currency symbol, not the value.

I note under currency options for new investments there is both an option for '$' and 'USD' as the currency symbol - would selecting the wrong one for the investment cause problems? I would prefer to use 'USD' because '$' means NZD here - but neither option seems to exchange adjust between NZD and USD (or $NZ and $)

There is also no field available/visible to add the brokerage/commission cost when I try to edit the US share purchase transaction - yet for my NZ & Australian shares, when clicking to edit a purchase, this remains an option.
Paul King

Postby Mark » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:46 am

Hi Paul King,

To check your retrieved prices, open up the investment in the Data Register (Edit / All Data...) and select "Prices" for the "Data Type".

Yes, each slot in the Currency Settings dialog is separate, so even though you have a $ and USD, you have to make sure you are assigning your investments in USD to the same currency that you assign the exchange rate to. Also, check that you have an exchange rate price recorded on the date you're doing the conversion. Use the Data Register again for this, just like checking the price of any regular investment.

There is an investment property that controls the usage of commission fees. See "Investment Properties... / Other / Transaction Entry Preference". This value is set for new investments based off the "Investment Type", but you can change it to anything you want.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Paul King » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:26 am

Hi thanks Mark.

Commission fees issue sorted.

The other issue with currencies is still problematic for me.

I seem to be showing retrieved prices for the single day since purchase for both the new US stock investment, and the US to NZ currency conversion investment I set up.

The new stock investment I have assigned currency symbol 'USD' to
The currency US to NZ currency conversion investment I have set with symbol 'NZDUSD=X', and currency symbol '$NZ'. Investment type is 'Exchange Rate'

The opening price retrieved for the currency exchange investment is 0.703 - which is correct, and if being applied correctly, I presume should result in a change to the displayed value of the share when exchange rate adjustment mode is toggled

I have a similar currency exchange investment to convert Australian dollars to NZ dollars, set up with symbol 'NZDAUD=X' and currency symbol '$NZ'

Hitting Ctrl-X to toggle off and on the report exchange rate adjustment mode does correctly adjust both values and currency symbols for Australian shares - but this is still not true for my US share.

Is there perhaps something wrong with the 'NZDUSD=X' symbol I am using to convert USD if the intended destination currency symbol is '$NZ'?
Paul King

Postby Mark » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:07 am

Hi Paul King,

The symbol/name/type of your exchange rate investment does not matter, other than the symbol is needed for proper price retrieval. It isn't used for determining how FM adjusts the exchange rate though. Do you have this exchange rate investment assigned to USD under "Options / Currency Settings..."?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Paul King » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:57 pm

Thank you! I had missed that option screen completely.
The US = NZ foreign exchange investment was not even being used.
Currency Settings for USD was set to use 'constant ratio' rather than the investment.

Everything working now - thanks!
Paul King

Return to Prices and Transactions