Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Errors with T Rowe Price Workplace Retirement Accounts

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby B2B_Investing » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:24 am

Hello,

Has anyone successfully downloaded transactions from T Rowe Price Workplace Retirement (This covers their 401k plans.) I can successfully connect but FM is not downloading transactions. If I leave the account number blank, I will be prompted for it when FM is requesting transactions, but no transactions are retrieved.

Thanks in advance,

Jason
Last edited by B2B_Investing on Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
B2B_Investing

Postby Mark » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:50 am

Hi Jason,

Some things to check:

1) Make sure you are retrieving for a date range you have some transactions
2) If you have "Skip Transactions Already In Fund Manager", it will only get new transactions
3) You can look in the log file (xmldump.txt) to see the raw data returned by the OFX server. Do you see any transactions in there? This file will be located in the hidden folder here:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Fund Manager
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby B2B_Investing » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:04 pm

Hi Mark,

I have the date range set to all dates (my usual default) and have attempted it with " "Skip Transactions Already In Fund Manager" both checked and unchecked (usually checked)

When I examine the xmldump.txt the file appears correct. It appears to just be listing the current positions, but it may have the transactions in it. Can I send you the file to examine it yourself?

Jason
Last edited by B2B_Investing on Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
B2B_Investing

Postby Mark » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:09 pm

Hi Jason,

Sure, you can email it to me, and I'll take a look. I'll send you an email, so you can reply to that.

If you look in the xmldump.txt file, anything under the INVTRANLIST section are transactions, and anything under the INVPOSLIST section are positions. Only transactions are retrieved and brought in. The positions are used to reconcile against. If you don't have anything in the INVTRANLIST section, then there are no transactions.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:11 pm

Hi Jason,

Your email address registered in the forum is not valid. My email to you bounced back.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:58 am

Hi Jason,

Thanks for emailing the xmldump.txt file. That file has no transaction section in it. The next step to figure out the reason would be a call to T Rowe Price. Ask them if your account is enabled for online retrieval of transactions through programs like Fund Manager and Quicken. You might need to mention Quicken so they know what you're asking about. Fund Manager and Quicken both use the same OFX interface, so if you get it straightened out for Quicken it will work for Fund Manager as well.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby B2B_Investing » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:31 am

Thanks Mark,

I did call prior to reviewing the XMLDUMP. The tech was confused and said that was not required. I will try again and see if I get a different response.

Thanks.

Jason
B2B_Investing

Postby B2B_Investing » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:34 am

Hello Mark,

After digger deeper with technical support, I learned that TRP, at this time, does not support transactions for individual 401k accounts. They will only pass the balance information. Is there anything that FM can do with that information?

Jason
B2B_Investing

Postby Mark » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:39 am

Hi Jason,

Thanks for sharing your learnings. Yes, you can either reconcile with the positions, or retrieve them for starting positions with the New Portfolio Setup Wizard.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby dbender54 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:27 pm

I use to have an (employer) TRowePrice 401k plan (rps.troweprice.com) . I was able to download transactions from the regular 401k plan, but when I opened a subaccount (TRowePrice Tradelink) to buy mutual funds not offered in the regular employer plan, FM was never able to download those transactions. In my case, I didn't enter the individual transactions from Tradelink--there were just going to be too many--so I adjusted the total market value of the Tradelink account periodically. I recently transferred out the account after leaving my employer, so that problem is solved.
dbender54

Return to Prices and Transactions