Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Data retrieval

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby robert1 » Tue May 24, 2016 5:15 pm

I use Fund Manager to keep track of performance of mutual funds I own.
Dividends and cap gains distributions can mess up the price data.
What is the best data source to retrieve prices on mutual funds to take in consideration distributions?

THANKS!!
robert1

Postby Mark » Wed May 25, 2016 8:47 am

Hi robert1,

If you record the dividend or capital gain transaction, and retrieve the actual closing prices your performance will be accurate. It is normal for the price to drop when a distribution is paid by the mutual fund. The distribution transaction is factored into the performance when reporting yields, so as long as you have these transactions recorded, your performance will be accurate. If you're looking at the performance graphically, try using the "Price + Dist." graph instead of just the Share Price graph. The "Price + Dist." graph plots the share price, plus any per-share distributions, so you see the true performance graphically.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby robert1 » Wed May 25, 2016 6:04 pm

I understand that, but what I keep a list of funds that aren't owned but are under consideration for future investing.
Accordingly I don't update manually update CG or dividends.
If I only click the update button on FM, is there a download source that is better for this?

THANKS!!
robert1

Postby Mark » Wed May 25, 2016 6:53 pm

Hi robert1,

You can use the "Yahoo (Adjusted Historical)" server. This server gets pricing, back adjusted for splits/dividends. It can be useful for the situation you're describing. You will need to re-retrieve historical prices after new distributions are paid though, so you get the back adjusted prices updated.

In the Professional or Advisor version you can also use the "Yahoo (Historical)" server and retrieve distribution data along with your prices. This option is not available in the Personal version though. If you retrieve distribution data, it isn't necessary to re-retrieve historical prices after a new distribution is paid, like it is with Yahoo (Adjusted Historical).

You can read more about these servers here:

https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/int ... hooHistory

and

https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/int ... ooHistory2
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions